JCB 3CX Back hoe not slewing left/right

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
johnyoung

Re: JCB 3CX Back hoe not slewing left/right

Post #11 by johnyoung » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:56 am

Hi everyone,
thanks for the pointers, I will try out above and will post results when i have found out whats wrong and what repair is needed

John

jcb1968

Post #12 by jcb1968 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi everybody,
Just got my 3CX back from the workshop today, and can report that it is now better than it ever was!
A local guy who repairs only JCB's in his spare time, took the back actor off, then the kingpost carriage, this carriage was sent to another workshop a few miles away, had its teeth re-done, a new kingpost and bush/seal kit
the sliding carriage lever was freed up, and now slides across
replaced a springclip on the forward/reverse lever to bring back the notches in the selector
6 weeks later, and its allmost just as if it came out of the factory!! (bar the working clothes!!)
with minus 4 outside, 20seconds on the therostart position, the engine started within seconds

Looks like there is a good few years left in this machine yet!!

a few questions I forgot to ask
Just need replacement rear tyres - can anybody suggest where and what price?
the rev/hour meter has stopped working, where does the cable connect to on the engine?
as the roads round here are quite hilly, I have no problem on 3rd gear, but not in 4th as the machine just slows to a stop, but will do a hill start in 3rd once I drop it down a gear. 4th works ok on the flat, and will start off in 4th but no good on the hills, is this the start of another problem, or normal for an old machine? (btw 1st and 2nd will spin the wheels, if you push into a stockpile)

thanks again for all your help and sugestions
John
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Post #13 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Last time I was quoted for tyres brand new it was £280 each. Dont buy brand new. Theres loads of good second hand tyres around for £60 each. Theyre on ebay all the time
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

essexpete

Post #14 by essexpete » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:18 am

When you say slow to a stop is the engine dropping revs or does the machine gradually stall with the engine still reving?

In my limited experience a non turbo is only in the mid 80s in terms of hp and will not pull that well once off the flat.

jcb1968

Post #15 by jcb1968 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:53 am

hi essexpete
the engine revs ok, the machine gradually slows down until it stops, with the engine revving until a lower gear is selected, then it will move off with out a problem
maybe 4th is just a traveling gear providing the roads are level or pretty level?
can you advise if i'm supposted to have the hoe swung out the back for better balance or slewed tight agaist the back of the machine while travelling?
John
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

NorthStar

Post #16 by NorthStar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Iv just received my new but old JCB 3Cx 1988 today. most things are in tip top condition but for its age undoubtably there are a few glitches.
Can any one help advice on the Carriage sideshift. I have a handbrake! that I take is for the slider, this has no fluid in it (please advice on what fluid) and looks like its not moved in a while. Also there is a locking knob on the side the main controls levers with a padlock symbol, this dose move.
I have briefly tried to move the slider with the backacter with know luck.

Advice please :wave:

topkit

Post #17 by topkit » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:01 pm

The master cylinder which is on the left hand side when you are facing the back (ie using the backhoe) is for the boom lock when you are travelling the machine on the road or leaving it parked up with the cackhoe in the travel postion you release the handle that looks a bit like a handbrake handle and it lowers a bracket on the boom ocer the big knuckle on the top of your kingpost which then stops the backhoe from dropping down, that resevoir should just have a light grade hydraulic oil in it (the same as the brakes) on your backhoe controls there are your two levers for the backhoe, two for the legs then on the left of the levers there is a further leaver which locks and unlocks the sideshift. Hope thst helps

topkit

Post #18 by topkit » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:07 pm

If your backhoe wont slide, i would unlock it using the lever which is next the the backhoe levers as you said the padlock sign gives it away. With it unlocked do a little digging and after a little bit of ork hopefully you will see the kingpost moving only a little bit once it is free with the legs down move the backhoe round to the opposite side then put the bucket down on the ground and use the dipper to push while slowly raising the boom then gradually the kingpost will slide across the frame of the digger, it may take a few goes but it will free off, i have had to do it to several machines.

topkit

Post #19 by topkit » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 pm

picture showing how to slide your backhoe this, I have scanned it from an earlier handbook to the release lever is on the R/H SIde on earlier machines, your one is on the left. i hope this helps, Any more probs let me know and i will try and help.

NorthStar

Post #20 by NorthStar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 pm

topkit wrote:The master cylinder which is on the left hand side when you are facing the back (ie using the backhoe) is for the boom lock when you are travelling the machine on the road or leaving it parked up with the cackhoe in the travel postion you release the handle that looks a bit like a handbrake handle and it lowers a bracket on the boom ocer the big knuckle on the top of your kingpost which then stops the backhoe from dropping down, that resevoir should just have a light grade hydraulic oil in it (the same as the brakes) on your backhoe controls there are your two levers for the backhoe, two for the legs then on the left of the levers there is a further leaver which locks and unlocks the sideshift. Hope thst helps

Thats brilliant thanks Now I understand what that handbrake is for :thumbup:

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”