Anything Whitlock ( Diggers, dump trucks, cranes et al )

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Anything Whitlock ( Diggers, dump trucks, cranes et al )

Post #171 by XS650 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:48 am

Interesting , still never seen a definitive answer as to who rolled a tractor out of their workshop first with a backhoe AND LOADER fitted.

Fairly sure Whitlock beat JCB with the tractor mounted backhoe only so it would suggest they did first backhoe loader.

To be fair I do not think even arch publicist Joe Bamford ever claimed he made the first backhoe loader.

I don't think the JCB marketing machine has ever done so either but a lot of media sources over the years do credit it to them (mistakenly?)
Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #172 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:33 pm

XS650 wrote:Interesting , still never seen a definitive answer as to who rolled a tractor out of their workshop first with a backhoe AND LOADER fitted.

Fairly sure Whitlock beat JCB with the tractor mounted backhoe only so it would suggest they did first backhoe loader.

To be fair I do not think even arch publicist Joe Bamford ever claimed he made the first backhoe loader.

I don't think the JCB marketing machine has ever done so either but a lot of media sources over the years do credit it to them (mistakenly?)
Craig

Certainly a lot of truth in what you say Craig I think that because JCB made the more popular machine they were given credit incorrectly for inventing the idea even though they have never made any such claims themselves.

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #173 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi,
The first Whitlock diggers were manufactured under a licence from their designer Robert Ewan of Fife, Scotland circa 1951 and appeared in the Public Works Exhibition and The Smithfield Agricultural Show in 1952.
I know when, (as a boy), I lived at Stonehouse, Glos. in 1953 a local contractor ran one based on the "New Fordson Major".

JCB are not credited with producing their first prototype till 1953, so it seems Whitlock were certainly first in the UK.

The first backhoes I'm aware of were American. These were produced by The Wainroy Co. in 1948, followed by Sherman in 1949. I don't know how long it was before loaders were fitted to them?
Fred

Topic author
XS650

Post #174 by XS650 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:07 am

Thanks Fred ,good information .
With it being in living memory you would think someone would know who did the first backhoe loader.
Would also think it would have been good publicity for that firm ' original and best' malarkey !
Maybe a few companies were dabling at same time.
Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

IBH

Post #175 by IBH » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:24 pm

There are many conflicting accounts of who did what and when that are oft repeated in books and magazines.
Generally, it seems to be that the Vaino J. Holopainen (Waino) and Roy E. Handy Jr invented a (the first?) backhoe attachment in 1947.

Whitlock seem to have been the first manufacturer to build and supply both a backhoe and a loader, but as I understand it, the first Whitlock backhoes weren't designed by Whitlock as such. I think JCB can claim to being the first to design and build both the backhoe and loader attachments. Mr JCB, could see the potential of the backhoe loader concept and had the business acumen to push the sale of both at the same time - why sell only one item, when you can get the customer to buy two.

modelman093

Post #176 by modelman093 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Yes, the origin of the Whitlock lay with a Scottish farmer/ inventor , a Mr Robert Ewan in the late 1940s . He took out patents on a back hoe attachment and sold the idea and manufacturing licence to Whitlocks in 1950 and the first Whitlock built Dinkum Diggers were sold in 1952. Presumably JCB got round the patents and being better financed and better at marketing became the ubiquitous "JCB" so loved by the press for anything yellow on wheels.
For anyone interested in the history of the Whitlock Company from the 1700s onward, there's an interesting book by Adrian Corder-Birch
"Whitlock brothers, A history of the family, farms, forage works foundry and factory ay Great Yeldham"

Amazon say out of stock, but it's available direct from the author.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #177 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:55 pm

modelman093 wrote:Yes, the origin of the Whitlock lay with a Scottish farmer/ inventor , a Mr Robert Ewan in the late 1940s . He took out patents on a back hoe attachment and sold the idea and manufacturing licence to Whitlocks in 1950 and the first Whitlock built Dinkum Diggers were sold in 1952. Presumably JCB got round the patents and being better financed and better at marketing became the ubiquitous "JCB" so loved by the press for anything yellow on wheels.
For anyone interested in the history of the Whitlock Company from the 1700s onward, there's an interesting book by Adrian Corder-Birch
"Whitlock brothers, A history of the family, farms, forage works foundry and factory ay Great Yeldham"

Amazon say out of stock, but it's available direct from the author.

Yes Angus that is a fantastic book about Whitlock I have recently acquired a copy myself. :thumbup:

Jeremy

IBH

Post #178 by IBH » Fri May 07, 2021 2:05 pm

I spotted this on the Memories of Shropshire Quarries group on Facebook - a Merton wheeled loader (model unknown) working in Nills Hill Quarry.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Just-For-Fun/Memories-of-Shropshire-Quarries-232460283937771/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sirtrenchalot

Post #179 by Sirtrenchalot » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:43 pm

Hi all. First time on forum. I would describe myself as an enthusiastic beneficiary of plant and machinary as opposed to an enthusiast having spent 40 years in the construction industry, which included using and driving various forms of plant when needed. I am hoping you may be able to clarify the following query for me. I am pretty sure the Whitlock excavator I initially used for my own project and have owned for some 25yrs is a 605. What is causing a slight doubt now is that having recently viewed various archive and present day photos of the 605 I havn't seen one with the same front end grill style and shape. It's definitely a Ford as marked so in the cab. But the front end has more of a resemblance to a Ferguson. I last used the Whitlock some ten yrs ago. It was replaced with a 3cx. Whilst the engine still runs on the Whitlock it has stood in the same place since replacement due to hydraulic fluid leakage which I think is coming from steel wire operated boom. I need to make sure of the precise model as I havn't the time and know how to restore myself and wish to advertise for sale. Hope you can help.
I am going to attempt some photo attachments but if unsuccessful please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #180 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:52 pm

Hi Peter and welcome to the site :wave: I cannot say for certain but my best guess would be that a previous owner has grafted a different bonnet cover onto your machine.

Jeremy

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”