1970's jcb yellow paint help!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
topkit
Flag: Great Britain

1970's jcb yellow paint help!

Post #1 by topkit » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:02 am

Hi i have just found this site and am hoping someone can help me i have a 1977 3c mk II which i want to repaint in the correct lighter shade of yellow, i just do not like seeing old 3c's painted in the late 3cx yellow. does anyone know where i can get hold of this paint (i am in Kent) ;)

Martyn Henley

Re: 1970's jcb yellow paint help!

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 am

Hi David and a big welcome to CMN.
.. where in Kent are you ? i get my paints for my models at a place just outside chartham .. i have all the codes you need.

Martyn

Topic author
topkit

Post #3 by topkit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Martyn, I am near Tonbridge in Kent, long time no speak i have meant to give you a call but we have been so busy and i have been using my 3C around the place instead of buying models!! I now want to give her a good clean up and paint in the correct shade of yellow. Love the new models especially the MF's, how about a Ford 13-6 Autodig and an MF50 (PRE 50B). Regards David ;)

Steelfab

Post #4 by Steelfab » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:36 pm

Martin,

how did you establish the paint codes for the JCB's. Do you have a full list of all the codes for the changes over the years? Would be most intersted to learn as customer often contact us to ask the paint codes but we do not have a record of the old colours.

Martyn Henley

Post #5 by Martyn Henley » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Julian .. most frustrating finding paint codes since the fire .. i know the early yellow up to 1968 was simple Ford, Signal Lemon Yellow, the red was post office red, and i know it changed in 1975 to Yellow chrome, but what was used in between, i have no idea what it was called, just hours on end with my local paint guy getting it to look right ... but the code for the Chrome yellow is CY1353
I have to worry about the scale colour, and in small items the colour does not look right sometimes, its like the Post office red in small areas is too heavy .. so the best i could find to give the red that strawberry look, i used Volkswagen Mars Red .. i used to have all the codes, got them from JCB Archives before the late nineties, but alas they got lost over time .. hope that helps a little ..

Martyn

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:13 pm

Hello Julian
Thought you may be more interested in Steelfab yellow :lol:
How are you keeping ?Have not seen you for a few years now,do you still have family in Cardiff?
Still got the compressor I got from Finning,and the cutting gear I got from you years ago.
Cheers
Martyn

Steelfab

Post #7 by Steelfab » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi Martyn, all is well here and family are keeping well in Cardiff.

As we do not have records at JCB of the historic paint colours I am gathering the paint specification of the old machines at the factory using a special device called a Spectrometer. Basically its a piece of instrumentation which you put over an area of painted material and it tells you the exact colour specification.

Although we do not have all of the models painted in orginal colours at the factory it will enable us to populate a table of colour shades through the ages which may be of help to those restoring machines. If anyone has an old JCB BHL pre 1975 which has the original paintwork colour I may be looking for some additional machines to fill in the gaps.

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:38 pm

Maybe we can put a paint section together on CMN technical section to help people in their restorations.Info on colour codes and paint suppliers may be of help to CMN members.
Also a section on paint preparation etc.
Martyn

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”