JCB 3CX-4 Sitemaster 1989 Dipper Ram seal replacement

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
cjbjcb
Flag: Ireland

JCB 3CX-4 Sitemaster 1989 Dipper Ram seal replacement

Post #1 by cjbjcb » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:43 pm

Hi All
I am currently planning to replace the seals on the dipper Ram on the above JCB 3CX-4 Sitemaster . From the workshop manuals (which I was kindly able to download from the forum, thank you) I have identified the spade parts, (I think) however I am not able to locate A RAM Protection sleeve. I think the Ram is 100mm x 60MM and the sleeve i require is 892/01021.
Would anyone happen to know where I can get one of these or indeed is it possible to do the replacement with out it or lastly potentially fashion something to do th same job. As i dont wish to remove the piston until i am reasonable certain of what i ma doing and advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Conor

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3CX-4 Sitemaster 1989 Dipper Ram seal replacement

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:50 pm

Hi Conor, welcome to the forum :wave: we have a few resident JCB experts on here that should be able to point you in the right direction. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
cjbjcb
Flag: Ireland

Post #3 by cjbjcb » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 pm

Much appreciated, thanks Jeremy

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by gecko.cx » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:30 am

Am I correct in thinking this sleeve protects the nut seals from the threads (and acts as a lead-in for the seals)?

Several solutions I have used in the past include:

- A layer of stretchy insulation tape carefully wound on tight so the edges butt up to each other, but don't overlap will protect from the threads.

- A sheet of shim* wrapped around the thread provides a lot of protection. Cut the width of the shim to the circumference of the thread and roll the shim around a form slightly smaller that the thread so it needs to stretched to get it on. That way it'll hold on reasonably well.

* by "shim", if you have some on hand, great, but otherwise a drink can will serve perfectly well.

- A thin walled heatshrink makes a great protection layer. 70diam (110mm when flat) tube is hard to find, but is used by battery pac rebuilders (when your cordless drill etc. needs a new set of cells).

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”