Starting problem - fuel

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Petej247
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Starting problem - fuel

Post #11 by Petej247 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:58 am

Thanks again to everyone's replies, very much appreciated.

So in summary, its solved.

In the last post I said I would try the "sticky shut off linkage fix" which is to hold the throttle wide open which I did with a spring, then tapping the top and side of the pump with a hammer. There was no indication or noise that anything had happened, except that when I spun the engine over a small amount of fuel was coming from the injector port. I reconnected the fuel pipes, connected 2 to the engine, leaving the other 2 open, after a couple of spins fuel was squirting out to the injector pipes. I then reconnected these two and spun the engine - its started.

So in summary of my journey...
Check / change fuel filter -
Check / change filter in the regulating valve, check the piston is smooth in its bore. Check the vanes are not cracked in the pump next to the regulator.
Remove the top cover, remove the governor and stop mechanism inside. Clean. (mine was full of sludge). Rebuild.
Check stop mechanism actually is engaged in the nipple inside and operates the stop - watch the throttle as you push the mechanism to the off position, it will move the throttle lever to past its closed resting position.
Bleed the filter (top banjo open)
Bleed to pump (1 side and 1 top bleed)
Crack 2 injectors
Hold open the throttle
Ensure the stop lever is in the right direction (furthest towards the front)
Tap with a hammer
Crank.

This is a great video to understand how things work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h26p78YZIr4

Cheers Pete

Gazzer tyres

fuel filter out of the pump on a 1988 jcb 3cx

Post #12 by Gazzer tyres » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:22 am

Can you tell me if you can take the filter of of the fuel pump with take all the back off ??

agrimax

Re: Starting problem - fuel

Post #13 by agrimax » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:57 pm

You mean the filter in the inlet end of the injector pump? Yes you can but need to be very careful doing so.
Remove the inlet pipe,then the large plug(15/16'' spanner). Then lift out the spring. You can just about see the top of the filter around the outside of the hole. You need something fine to hook into the top edge of the filter to lift it out but also want to avoid lifting out the whole valve body. Ideally,you want something like a flat blade screwdriver that doesn't go right down into the hole,that you can apply downward pressure on while also fishing the filter out at the same time.If you do end up pulling out the whole valve body,there's a plug,a small piston and a fine spring at the bottom. The piston usually falls down into the bottom of the hole but with a small enough magnet,it and the fine spring can be lifted out. Can be a little difficult to get the small spring to sit the right shape when it's dropped in again. The piston can be reinserted into the valve body with a blob of grease to hold it and the plug needs put back in with the long side pointing up,onto which the initial spring locates onto before the large top plug is refitted.
Maybe that's as clear as mud!!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”