Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
ekmoor
Flag: United States of America

How to repack w welded piston jcb3cx-1400

Post #1 by ekmoor » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:38 pm

IMG_7211.jpg
IMG_7214.jpg
Removed my boom cylinder (lots of fun) to repack and found the piston is welded to the shaft. Any options on split seals? Or just start search for used boom cylinder? its a 1987 machine. Or find a used piston?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
ekmoor

Re: How to repack w welded piston jcb3cx-1400

Post #2 by ekmoor » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:56 pm

I did visit my local welder and he thought he could grind the weld out and reweld it after packing change....$500 USD or less. It would be nice to fix it right thought. Thanks for your suggestions! Or prayers....

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by gecko.cx » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:57 am

Pull the outer wear strip off - my guess is the last person in there forgot about the dowel pin and destroyed the end of the rod.

I was recently quoted aud$550 for a boom rod or $400 to have one made (neither included the piston)

I'd put the money toward a replacement piston/rod - no telling what sins are hidden in there.

I've just straightened/ resealed a boom ram in a '97 - interesting how different the seal setup is.

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:35 pm

Unless the piston splits, then you have nothing to lose by fitting the seals over the whole lot? Perhaps I am missing something?
Edit Stupid me, of course you will not be able to do the gland seal. Years ago JCB did supply split seals that had a kind of zig-zag join. I fitted one on a dipper ram to save pulling apart.

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by gecko.cx » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:33 am

Trouble is you can't replace the glad seals if they need it.
You are right though if the gland seals are still ok, then replacing the piston seal and putting it back together is probably the best approach.

(also, you can continue searching for a replacement)

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:46 am

Dear old Fred (Fowler Man) had a suggestion.

JCB 3c Ram seal question please

Topic author
ekmoor

Post #7 by ekmoor » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:32 pm

gecko.cx wrote:Trouble is you can't replace the glad seals if they need it.
You are right though if the gland seals are still ok, then replacing the piston seal and putting it back together is probably the best approach.

(also, you can continue searching for a replacement)

Piston seals are replaceable as they are all split. The gland leaking is my problem along with what a PITA this cylinder is to remove. On the hunt for a used rod and piston now. Does anyone make split seals for the gland?
In the interim, put it back together and let it drip, drip, drip, drip.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by agrimax » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:25 pm

Going by the state of that welding,I'd be keen to get that sorted asap. The backhoe would hit the ground mighty quick if that let go. If you really need to use it til you find a replacement,cut the eye off the other end off the cylinder,slide the gland nut off,replace the seals,refit and weld the eye on again.It would be quicker and easier than chopping the welds around the piston.

Topic author
ekmoor

Post #9 by ekmoor » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:51 pm

I discussed w local hyd cylinder rebuilder and they thought the shaft was heat treated and the eye could not be cut off. Does anyone know if the shaft is heat treated?

Is the boom cylinder Interchangeable with 1550B or 1700B? or any other JCB model?

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:59 pm

ekmoor wrote:I discussed w local hyd cylinder rebuilder and they thought the shaft was heat treated and the eye could not be cut off. Does anyone know if the shaft is heat treated?

Is the boom cylinder Interchangeable with 1550B or 1700B? or any other JCB model?

Absolutely not an expert but I think the eye may be machined to fit a corresponding male/female on the rod. I have not welded an eye on a JCB but I did re-attach an eye on our older Sanderson telehandler. A welding friend told me to pre heat and use low hydrogen rods. I could not get on with the rods so used small diameter mild steel, having first chamfered the fitting. I did not even split the rod out of the cylinder. I went around and around building up many fillets. That was years ago and it has done a lot of work since, although now semi retired.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”