3CX 1984 Service

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Ivor.JCB
Flag: Wales

3CX 1984 Service

Post #1 by Ivor.JCB » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:17 am

Hi All,

Finally got around to using my 1984 JCB 3CX (Ruby) I bought last year (impulse buy from local small holder who was moving) - moving 5 tons of stables dung heap was an interesting challenge but loved it - and lost a few KG in weight as well - will never tease farmers for having air-con in tractors!!

Didn't come with any info and I have been trying to piece together a fluids list for her. Bought all the filters from Vicary - very helpful - but now I am trying to get all the fluids I need.

serial number is 3cx-4/299374/p/s and she is a optional 4x4 white cab with the fwd/back level to the left of the wheel.

Wonder if anyone has experience or list of fluids for
Hydraulic fluid
Transmission fluid
Oil - I can do 10/30 or 40 I think is in it - will be changing
Axles/diff - front and rear
Assume Blue Coolant/Antifreeze

Anything else I need? Any tips on good source for them - we are north of Llanelli in South Wales

Learnt a lot on this forum and hope to add to it as I use her more - and stop looking like a transformer on ice!

Thanks

essexpete

Re: 3CX 1984 Service

Post #2 by essexpete » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:56 pm

I will try to answer, others may be along to correct errors.

Hydraulic ISO 46 (36 would do but I think the 46 would be better in am old machine).

Transmission: With the manual shuttle, Borg Warner transmission the spec was for a SAE 10w transmission fluid. Others have used ATF Dexron fluid.

Gear box: The Spicer gearbox should probably have an 80w90 gear oil compatible with synchromesh.

Engine: A good quality 15w40 mineral oil for diesels should be OK

Rear Axle: Requires an oil for EP rating and wet brakes, a universal tractor transmission oil (UTTO) should in theory be OK but our old JCB was always a bit squawky on the brakes.

Front Axle and Hubs: 80w90 gear oil.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by agrimax » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:34 pm

Sorry to give a small correction Pete as I probably have said before that the gearbox uses the 80w90 gear oil too. (Can't even remember what's in my own now!!) It actually should have a 15w40 multigrade in it...
Two other things would be the slew actuator which takes 4.3L of HD 90 (or 85w140 will be fine).Drain plug on the bottom and fill plug down inside the bottom the boom,and the brake reservoirs,which require a light hydraulic oil or the green LHM fluid that Citroen and most tractors use. Do NOT use DOT 3 or 4 synthetic brake fluid...ever,as the seals will turn to jelly!

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:24 am

agrimax wrote:Sorry to give a small correction Pete as I probably have said before that the gearbox uses the 80w90 gear oil too. (Can't even remember what's in my own now!!) It actually should have a 15w40 multigrade in it...
Two other things would be the slew actuator which takes 4.3L of HD 90 (or 85w140 will be fine).Drain plug on the bottom and fill plug down inside the bottom the boom,and the brake reservoirs,which require a light hydraulic oil or the green LHM fluid that Citroen and most tractors use. Do NOT use DOT 3 or 4 synthetic brake fluid...ever,as the seals will turn to jelly!

Advice from the proper source! Would a typical Utto be OK in the gearbox? Interesting, just reading on Landcruiser forum, Guy changed gearbox oil and may have used the wrong spec, made the synchros baulk.

agrimax

Post #5 by agrimax » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:59 am

Can't see that UTTO would do any harm in the JCB box considering its recommended use in the majority of tractors' synchromesh gearboxes since the 80's but JCB don't seem to mention using it.

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #6 by gecko.cx » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:59 am

Only thing I'd change from above is that you don't need an EP oil in the back diff.
EP is only needed in hypoid diffs. Also, it can be very aggressive on soft metal bearings.

For the brakes, any light mineral oil is fine. While an ISO-15 is recommended, Jack oil, motorbike fork oil etc. will all be good.

Don't be surprised if the slew box is full of water. If it's parked outside, draining the water will be a regular thing.

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:38 pm

agrimax wrote:Can't see that UTTO would do any harm in the JCB box considering its recommended use in the majority of tractors' synchromesh gearboxes since the 80's but JCB don't seem to mention using it.

Funny old things wet brakes and LS diffs. Against ACE's (farming forum) advice, I used UTTO in a Manitou front axle. It sounded like it was self destructing braking or turning. Used the oil he recommended and it was OK. For our old Powertrain rear axle, our old JCB fitter used a nasty looking dark oil that (IIRC), was used in the final drives of JCB track shovels. It did reduce the brake chatter.

Slooby

Post #8 by Slooby » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:30 am

I compiled the following list of equivalent fluid for my '87 Black Cab:

Slooby wrote:As part of my ongoing research, and to try and collate the information in one place after trawling through many posts in many places I've put together the following list of what I believe are the various lubricants used by a 1st gen 3CX, and where to source them from one of the cheapest places that I know:

Engine: 15W40 Mineral, 11 litres; https://www.smithandallan.com/products/ ... il---suto/

Gearbox: M2C33G, 18.8 litres; https://www.smithandallan.com/products/ ... f-m2c33f-/

Back Axle: 10W30 UTTO/GL4/M2C, 28 litres; https://www.smithandallan.com/products/ ... ion-fluid/

Brake Fluid: Hydraulic Oil ISO 15 HVI (NOT VG!), 1.2 litres; Try: https://www.westwayoils.co.uk/

Slew Gearbox: EP90 GL-4 or GL-5, 4.3 litres; can use either:
https://www.smithandallan.com/products/ ... gl4-ep-90/
Or:
https://www.smithandallan.com/products/ ... le-fluid-/

Hydraulics; HP Hydraulic Oil ISO 46, 118 litres – should only need to only change the filter and top up; https://www.smithandallan.com/products/ ... aulic-oil/
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”