1988 3CX stuck jack leg

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: 1988 3CX stuck jack leg

Post #21 by gecko.cx » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:30 pm

Yeah, it'll take a bit of coordination, but the extra force may make the difference.

Have you worked out how the bottom of the leg is held together?
The retaining bolt in in the centre of the pin and will be easier to access if you can poke a high pressure cleaner in from both sides.
Once the pin is 2/3 of the way out, the foot will drop out - just a warning!

Topic author
McSpud
Flag: Ireland

Re: 1988 3CX stuck jack leg

Post #22 by McSpud » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:45 am

Well finally I got back to this yesterday, I pulled out the top pin, and disconnected the pipes.
I found and old broken bucket pin that fitted down beside the top of the cylinder and sat on the corner of the inner sleeve. Then I beat the living hell outa that thing with the sledge, and after an hour of sledging it shifted about a quarter inch.

Then I got a brainwave, I put some concrete blocks under the nose of the foot pad, and then put a bottle jack on top of the foot and forced the leg downwards agains the back actor frame. After that I started getting more purchase with each sledge strike....... finally the whole thing let go with a huge bang and it was free.

WHat seems to have had it stuck, was a wear plate that was welded to the outside of the sleeve had begun rusting inside the weld, and of course the rust made it swell outwards, which means then it became tight in the outer sleeve.

For some reason I can' uload photos here today, but I'll try again later, just to help someone else in future.
Thanks for all your suggestions!!
Seamus

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”