Torque converter on a swedish "Hara Caway" backhoe.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Alter Schwede
Flag: Sweden

Torque converter on a swedish "Hara Caway" backhoe.

Post #1 by Alter Schwede » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:19 pm

Hello,

since June 2022 i am the owner of a used swedish "Hara Caway Twin" backhoe loader from 1973.
This backhoe is based on a british "Leyland 384" tractor, and this is what he looks like:

Since i purchased the backhoe, i did a lot of service and maintenance and now it was time to make service on the torque converter and the transmission.
All the time i was pretty sure that i have a "Brockhouse 11F" converter in my backhoe but now, when i was collecting informations about the converter, i realised that my converter is not a "Brockhouse 11F". When i compare pictures and downloads about "Brockhouse 11F" with the real converter in my backhoe, i see that there is nothing in common.
Recently i could read about that you can find "Brockhouse 11N" or "Borg-Warner" converters in a "Leyland 384" but i don´t know if this is really true.
Here in Sweden it is impossible to get qualified informations about this, the "Leyland 384" is to exotic.
I have asked the same question on the Nuffield-and Leyland-tractor-club-forum but it seems to be difficult to get an answer there, so now i ask even here for help with the identification of my torque converter.
Do anyone reckognize this converter unit:

Best regards,
Thomas

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Torque converter on a swedish "Hara Caway" backhoe.

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi Thomas and welcome to the forum :wave: that is an unusual machine that you have there, must say that I have never seen one before, hopefully somebody on here may be able to help you to identify it. :thumbup:

Jeremy

dixie-normous
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by dixie-normous » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:56 pm

Hi Thomas, looks like the same converter that was on the early JCBs with Leyland 4/98 engines. Think it was a Brockhouse
John
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

Topic author
Alter Schwede
Flag: Sweden

Post #4 by Alter Schwede » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:57 pm

Hello Jeremy,

thank you for the welcome!

Hello dixie-normous,

i did see your post on the NuffieldandLeyland... forum but when i wanted to answer you I think your post was removed.
I could see your tip about the downloads here on this forum and i was there and did some "research".
I found a workshop service manual about older JCB backhoes and in this manual i could for the first time find something that looks like my torque converter.
It is realy the first time since June and i have spend an incredible amount of hours behind the computer to find some qualified information about my converter.
Now i am very happy but now i also have to go to bed, i need my beauty-sleep! :roll:
The coming week i will compare the manual with the real converter in my "Hara" and if it is the same i can do my service on it.
I will tell you about the result!

Best regards,
Thomas

dixie-normous
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by dixie-normous » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:14 pm

I deleted my post when i saw you had already beem on here! Hope you find the answers you need, let us know how you get on
Good luck
John
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”