JCB 3C Mk II seized alternator

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
ant3000
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 3C Mk II seized alternator

Post #1 by ant3000 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:22 pm

The alternator on my JCB 3C Mk II appears to have seized today and caused the belt to slide on the pulley resulting in lots of white smoke and smell of burning rubber.

I did manage to free the pulley with a dose of WD40 and it will seem to work for a while and then randomly seize again.

Does anyone know where I can get a new / reconditioned alternator? Or perhaps get my alternator refurbished?

Failing that could I run the JCB with the belt off for short bursts or would it cook the engine too quickly?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mambo

Re: JCB 3C Mk II seized alternator

Post #2 by mambo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:53 pm

without the belt you would have no water pump
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234423688625 would probably be what you need

Matchless?58

Post #3 by Matchless?58 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:54 pm

Do not run the machine without the belt fitted . It will get hot really quick and you are asking for a seized engine and all the crap that will entail . Bite the bullet and get a new alternator it's cheaper than a new engine ! Try charnleys tractor spares they carry spares for Leyland engines . Fit a new belt at the same time .

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by gecko.cx » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:43 am

Alternators are pretty easy to rebuild if you feel like putting in a new pair of bearings

Pull out your dead bearings and go to a bearing shop using your own as samples rather than an auto-elec.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/alternato ... 67-76.html

MrF
Flag: France

Post #5 by MrF » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:49 pm

My criteria for a new alternator when this happened to me was what's lying round free in the shed, so I probably have a landrover or a transit alternator fitted. As long as it spins the right way and fits in the space its fine though I've had to change wiring plugs a few times doing this.

As above, dont run it without the belt on and spinning. If the alternator is not generating as long as it spins the only issue will be a flat battery eventually, the most important thing is that it spins freely.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”