1987 JCB BLACK CAB OILS/FILTERS

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
DannyP
Flag: Australia

1987 JCB BLACK CAB OILS/FILTERS

Post #1 by DannyP » Sun May 29, 2022 7:34 am

Hi fellow machinery enthusiasts,
I am a newbie and have just bought a 1987 Black cab from a deceased estate, without any paperwork, although I have found a vin number I think, on an old registration paper I found when I started emptying 20 years accumulation of rubbish in the cab. The vin number is 3CX4324814 P. I have been in touch with my local JCB dealer in Western Australia, but they have said they don't keep any info prior to 1990 anymore. It is a 4wd and has a shuttle which I think is electric and a 4 speed gearbox, the gearbox has a spin on filter on the side of it and what appears to be a small oval plate on the bottom of oil pan with two studs and I assume it holds some type of mesh filter. I am just wondering if anyone has a list of build numbers, which would help me identify exactly which shuttle/box I have because after reading all the posts, I am still confused as to whether the shuttle and box are all one, sharing the same oil or if they are two separate boxes with different types of oil. I would also like to change all the filters and oils but cant seem to find any info on that. the engine is definitely a 4.236 non-turbo Perkins with a LD prefix and I have found the oil and fuel filter numbers for that, but am struggling with the inner and outer air filters because there seems to be two different types that look very similar and they are so caked in dirt and rust I cant see any numbers on them. The filter on the transmission has the same number as the one on the engine, so I don't think that's quite right as I would assume the transmission filter would have a high flow filter on it. Oils are another problem as I have read that the shuttle uses ATF and then also it takes SAE 10w, and the rear diff takes universal oil and then I thought I heard mention of HD90 in there somewhere as well, confusion reigns. Also the hydraulic filters seem to have about 6 or 8 different filters for JCB's that look very similar, so I am unsure of which one I need. That's probably enough banging on for now, sorry about the extended explanation but I need some help and wanted to give as much information as I could to help it be identified. Here's hoping the guru's can assist me in my quest for knowledge. Thanks in advance and kind regards, Danny

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 1987 JCB BLACK CAB OILS/FILTERS

Post #2 by Slooby » Sun May 29, 2022 12:06 pm

Hi Danny, welcome

In the downloads section there's the full workshop manual for the Black Cab here: JCB 3CX/4CX Backhoe Loader workshop manual

Meanwhile in this thread I did my best to identify the oils used in my '87 2wd Black Cab, translating them from the JCB Branded to actually what they are: Slooby @ What are the JCB 3CX Varients and a basic Operators guide?

Looking on the likes (UK I know) of https://vicaryplant.com/ and https://abelparts.co.uk/ might help you identify the parts you need, the parts book itself (also in the downloads) is actual just pictures that refer out to a separate parts list issued by JCB that is/was constantly being updated...annoyingly that had the part numbers in and I've yet to find one online.

More local to you Ian @gecko.cx on here might have some useful contacts that he's found in supporting him with his, admittedly more recent mid 90's, machine
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
DannyP

Post #3 by DannyP » Sun May 29, 2022 12:11 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply Slooby and the relevant information.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by agrimax » Sun May 29, 2022 1:14 pm

Hi Danny.
You have a JCB SynchroShuttle transmission in your machine which uses one oil throughout.The oval plate has an adjoined suction screen behind it.It's washable. The correct oil is JCB Special Transmission Fluid, which equates to a 10W oil but ATF (Dexron 2 or 3) is perfectly fine to use instead. The spin on filter JCB no.is 02/100284A which has quite a few cross references through different makes.
The rear axle needs an oil with additives for wet brakes which is generally covered by an UTTO or SUTO 10W30 for tractors and is made to API GL-4 standards anyway. JCB have JCB Gear Oil HP Plus as their version.
75w90 gear oil(or 80w90) for the front axle and hubs.
If you drain the hyd oil down and remove the round plate above the front right hand wheel,you should find a washable suction strainer for the hydraulics and below it another screw on strainer for the steering,again washable. If you have a large cannister beside the battery,the return hyd filter in there is JCB pt. number 32/901200. Again you can cross reference it for alternatives.
Only use a light mineral oil in the brake reservoirs and not synthetic. LHM fluid or equivalent is the type...
Your serial number ties with the USA 1400B version of our 3CX here in the UK. The parts list doesn't show that big return filter beside the battery but instead gives another drop in cartridge filter (don't know where it might be if your machine even has it, but the no. for it is 581/06301.
Inner air filter is suggested JCB no.32/206002 and outer 32/206003A. However there are also pt no.s 32/205703 inner and 32/205702 outer. You may need to cross refence and measure dimensions...
Hope this helps...

Topic author
DannyP

Post #5 by DannyP » Mon May 30, 2022 1:42 am

Hi Agrimax, Thank you mate your information is invaluable and it’s great to know there are so many helpful and knowledgeable people on this site who are willing to share their expertise. Once again thank you very much.
Kind regards
Danny

gecko.cx

Post #6 by gecko.cx » Mon May 30, 2022 4:49 am

Slooby wrote:More local to you Ian @gecko.cx on here might have some useful contacts

Cheers Slooby. "Local" is a relative term - Danny is a 4 hour flight from me! For context, think of London to Moscow - then add half as much again :) .

Hi @DannyP , welcome.
I've got a P8, so only some of what I know is relevant. There is probably a WA supplier I don't know about, but one place to try (both new and used parts) is [url]rht.com.au[/url] in Sydney (good prices on seal kits, etc). There are a couple of wreckers in Qld if you need big parts.

cheers.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”