L Plates

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Ivor.JCB
Flag: Wales

L Plates

Post #1 by Ivor.JCB » Sun May 22, 2022 8:26 am

Hi,

Took delivery of a 1983 (first reg date in v5) 3cx white cab yesterday (I think - lot of greay paint through the yellow on body. Cab has a wild meadow growing in it) for use around our farm which is also fairly new to us.
Got a lot of TLC to do around the place and the 3CX ticked all the boxes for moving/digging

Got 10 min overview from previous owners son but he didn't know much that apart from how it move it.

First Q from me - I am trying to find all the Manuals for her operator etc, fkuids checks especially - looking at the downloads section here I can see some older manuals Mk III and new model ones but nothing seems to match the controls layout for my model.

Starting from scratch here - happy building landrovers and will have a go at anything but without some sign posting this is goign to be a challenge - and I need bigger spanners!

The ID plate is intact but looks like it has been attached by a hunger Tiger scratch wise - numbers I can get are 3CX-4/299374/P/S

Any pointers much appreciated and looking forwad to the challenge or bringing her back to full glory - via a few mad questions on here maybe!

Thanks in advance
Ivor

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: L Plates

Post #2 by gecko.cx » Sun May 22, 2022 9:03 am

Welcome Ivor.
happy building landrovers

Ok, so your a masochist! - that should help :lol:

This manual seems to suit your serial, but presumably it's NQR
JCB 3CX/4CX Backhoe Loader workshop manual

As for the fluids, assume they are all overdue (filters as well). Once changed, you can ignore them for a long time.
Last edited by gecko.cx on Sun May 22, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Ivor.JCB

Post #3 by Ivor.JCB » Sun May 22, 2022 11:45 am

Many thanks Geko.cx - that looks like fun - and yes land rovers do have their moments but this is a new fun level!!!

On another note is there such a thing as an operators manual for one of these or was everyone properly trained - happy to research YouTube or go to a large field and start moving leavers but some knowlege to avoid an expensive mistake would be handy or having to ask more embarrassing questions here.

Feels like I have bought a second hand nuclear sub! (only 3 careful previous owners) :)

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by mechman » Sun May 22, 2022 12:24 pm

Ivor jcb.
I have one of the same year and also same difficulty with workshop manuals. Mines pretty sound mechanically but the wiring is turning into a bit of a nightmare. I've fitted a water temp gauge in the dash ( dash light not working) and IGN warning light (dash light not working) I can live with the rest until a later date.
Norm. Oh and welcome :thumbup:

Whitlock 505

Post #5 by Whitlock 505 » Sun May 22, 2022 1:16 pm

Hi Ivor
Welcome and good luck with getting the 3cx how you want it! What part of Wales are you in? If your close to the valleys I'd willingly pop up and give you some pointers

Ian

gecko.cx

Post #6 by gecko.cx » Sun May 22, 2022 4:19 pm

Many on this forum are owner operators with little or no previous experience (I'm one), so many hours on youtube are in your future.
There should be an operators manual available somewhere, but if you can't find the correct one for your machine, get earlier and later manuals and find the relevant areas. The 3cx evolved over a long time and not everything got updated from one model to the next.

Have you noticed your gateways suddenly seem narrower than a short time ago?!

gecko.cx

Post #7 by gecko.cx » Mon May 23, 2022 6:14 am

mechman wrote:Ivor jcb.
and IGN warning light (dash light not working)

Don't forget the current through the charge lamp provides the exciter voltage for the alternator. If the lamp doesn't work, you probably won't have any alternator output.

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by mechman » Mon May 23, 2022 9:35 am

Gecko.
The 10 warning lights in the dash all worked out of the machine but not in it. The oil warning light is the only one that works as it should. I took the circuit board out and had it checked over by an electrical Boffin, he said it was all good, that was the reasoning behind wiring them separately, I can see temp now and the machine is charging. Happy days. :)
Norm.

Topic author
Ivor.JCB

Post #9 by Ivor.JCB » Mon May 23, 2022 11:07 am

mechman wrote:Ivor jcb.
I have one of the same year and also same difficulty with workshop manuals. Mines pretty sound mechanically but the wiring is turning into a bit of a nightmare. I've fitted a water temp gauge in the dash ( dash light not working) and IGN warning light (dash light not working) I can live with the rest until a later date.
Norm. Oh and welcome :thumbup:

Thanks Norm,

I think mine seems OK mechanically as well.

You mean there are gauges!!! I moved some of the rainforest from the Dash and yes there are dials that look like they would provide useful information - but nothing works - I may have to get your hard earned learnings on getting water temp and IGN (assume ignition) working. At the moment to start it you wave the forward/reverse handle up and down chanting 'please' while turning the key.

Fuel gauge would be nice as well - at the moment its the most economic vehicle I have had!

Topic author
Ivor.JCB

Post #10 by Ivor.JCB » Mon May 23, 2022 11:10 am

Whitlock 505 wrote:Hi Ivor
Welcome and good luck with getting the 3cx how you want it! What part of Wales are you in? If your close to the valleys I'd willingly pop up and give you some pointers

Ian

Ah a fellow Druid - I am North of Swansea - may have to take you up on that at some point so you can also share in the laughter and tears!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”