JCB3CX stalled under hydraulic load and will not start

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Spancan
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB3CX stalled under hydraulic load and will not start

Post #11 by Spancan » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:10 pm

Thanks for all your replies. Had a further look this morning and I think the fuel guage is faulty and the machine ran out of diesel.
I tried the lift pump and I could see that the pipe coming into the lift pump from the sediment bowl was empty but the lift pump did draw some diesel which quickly receeded. From the workshop Manual pages 216 to 220, I can see the procedure to clean the sediment bowl and the bleeding procedure. I believe that the lift pump and the fuel filter was replaced prior to purchase last year. However, do you have to prime the lift pump to draw the fuel from the sediment bowl ? The ignition key when turned left shows the fuel guage showing half full. (See pics) However when you disconnect the battery it remains showing diesel. The spooky thing is that when you put more diesel in the guage goes up. When you turn the key right the transmission oil pressure light and ignition light comes on. The transmission oil pressure warning light goes off when starting. Advice appreciate please.
PS. I also noticed some smoke coming from the starter solenoid after attempting to start. The bottom connection was hot and oil on the connection caused the smoke (see pic)

dixie-normous

Post #12 by dixie-normous » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:23 pm

Make sure you have diesel flowing from the tank, If it doesn't flow properly the tap is probably blocked and will have to be removed to clean it, there should be a gauze filter on the tap that sits inside the tank. You might need to take the connector off the solenoid and clean it up and make sure it's nice and tight when you refit it
John
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

Matchless?58

Post #13 by Matchless?58 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:56 pm

I'm not 100% sure on the 3cx but I think you should have a breather valve for the fuel tank . I have one on the 3 c11 which is just at the front of the cab . Make sure that is clear if fitted as they get gunged up and cause an airlock in the tank . That might also explain the fuel gauge problem. Air pressure might be holding it up doesn't take much .

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #14 by gecko.cx » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:55 pm

Spancan wrote: I also noticed some smoke coming from the starter solenoid after attempting to start. The bottom connection was hot and oil on the connection caused the smoke (see pic)

Probably just a loose nut on the 'solenoid to stater' bus.
Loosen off the nuts and retightern to get a clean surface.

... and get in there with some degreaser. It''ll make it much easier to work on and as a bonus, you won't be covered in filth every time you touch something.

Topic author
Spancan

Post #15 by Spancan » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:01 pm

Thanks Matchless, There is a pipe that comes from the top of the tank which is clear. However, I am reluctant to push a flexible rod up the pipe. Could it be blocked where it cannot be seen ?

Matchless?58

Post #16 by Matchless?58 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:45 pm

I am not 100% with the breather on the 3cx as mines a 3c11 but your fuel tank must have one . If you have a pipe that goes into the top of the tank that will probably be it . It can't hurt to gently push a bit of soft rod up the pipe and into the tank . At least you will know if it's clear . They do get blocked with a sort of brown sludge . Mine was anyway . It caused an airlock on mine and although diesel was still coming out of the tank it was very slow and the machine kept stopping . Plus it was sucking rubbish from the bottom of the tank and blocking up the filters . Perhaps someone here with a 3cx will be able to help more with exact location of the breather .

mambo

Post #17 by mambo » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:44 am

My fuel gauge only shows 1/2 full no matter how much fuel is in there but it still goes back to 0 when you turn the key off

Topic author
Spancan

Post #18 by Spancan » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:29 am

This is the same. Is the fuel gauge electrical or mechanical ?

Topic author
Spancan

Post #19 by Spancan » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:36 am

I have taken off the sediment bowl and cleaned. There is a good flow from the injector bleed valves with using the lift pump, however when cracking the injectors and cranking the engine there is minimal flow. This suggests a problem with the injector pump as discussed earlier in the post ?

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #20 by gecko.cx » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:35 pm

Spancan wrote:This is the same. Is the fuel gauge electrical or mechanical ?

If it's dropping when the ignition it turned off, it must be electrical.

If you can disconnect the wire to the sender unit, the meter will go to either F or E depending how it's wired (most got to E).
Shorting it to ground should send it to the opposite end.
If it does this, you can have confidence in the meter which means the sender is the problem.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”