Massey Ferguson 40 backhoe - worth buying?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Simon_F3
Flag: Great Britain

Massey Ferguson 40 backhoe - worth buying?

Post #1 by Simon_F3 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:03 am

I've been looking for a JCB 3Ciii for up to about 5k but not found anything particularly appealing yet - either already sold, or needing too much immediate repair work...
I came across a 1979 Massey 40 which looks like it might do the job - can anyone offer an opinion as to whether these were a decent digger please? It's within budget and got several buckets. Not got the 4 in 1 but it does have a 3rd service on the front so easy enough to sort.
Any opinions / advice gratefully received! I think these were quite a bit lighter than the JCBs which may not be a bad thing.
Thanks, Simon

essexpete

Re: Massey Ferguson 40 backhoe - worth buying?

Post #2 by essexpete » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:26 am

Which transmission has it got? Some were manual some torque converter with the reversomatic transmission? The engine is the punchy little 3.152 Perkins. The rear end is MF 165 and, by 1979, should have oil immersed wet brakes. The torque model made the machine a very handy quick little loader and the backhoe (really and MF 220) always seem to have good digging performance. I drove the little MFs before I had a go on a 3C. They seemed nimble compared to the larger JCB but ultimately the JCB 3C would have more digging power.
You need to run the digger for at least 20 minutes to see that the hydraulics maintain power when warm and, if the reversomatic fitted, check the torque converter shuttle effectiveness.
I think the basic skid unit will be OK for, spares, hydraulic pipes can be replaced, but I think some of the Industrial specific parts may be difficult to source.
The 3 cylinder, if in good condition, should be a good starter.

Topic author
Simon_F3

Post #3 by Simon_F3 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:08 am

Thanks Pete, some very useful info there. I think it's a manual but I'll double check.

Topic author
Simon_F3

Post #4 by Simon_F3 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:41 am

Well, I bought it...! It's a 3x3 manual, and mostly complete. Cab is very rusty, as are the mudguards, but the tractor itself and front loader seem in reasonable shape, and the engine sounds sweet. The only issue requiring immediate attention is the lower bearing in the kingpost, which seems to have disintegrated and then fallen out.

Does anyone know if there is an owners' club, or other resource where I might be able to get a parts manual and/or workshop manual with exploded diagrams of the kingpost arrangement please? It looks like the kingpost is slightly different for the 40B than the 50B, based on my google image searches last night! I just want to work out if there are bits missing other than the bearing itself before I try to source the parts.

Anyway, the deal is done and it'll arrive some time in the next few days/weeks, so I'll post some pics and any other interesting info when it's here. Hopefully it'll do the job :)

dixie-normous

Post #5 by dixie-normous » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:43 pm

Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:06 am

Good luck! You can occasionally see stinging nettle finds for the backhoe on ebay.

Topic author
Simon_F3

Post #7 by Simon_F3 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:39 am

Hi again guys, another quick question please... Is there any advantage / disadvantage to using 46 or 32 grade hydraulic oil in my MF40? I believe the operator's manual specifies 32 grade (though not seen this for myself), but I have seen several posts suggesting 46 grade may be better for an older machine with worn seals as it will leak at a slower rate! Just wanted another opinion (or two) before ordering.

In other news I have obtained a complete backhoe assembly that has a decent kingpost, so at some point in the reasonably near future I shall take that to pieces and get it ready to swap onto my digger. I'll probably re-seal the rams too and make some new bushes for the pins while I'm at it... It never ends, does it? :lol:

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:02 pm

I think the 42 will be better in the old machine in all but the really coldest UK weather.

Topic author
Simon_F3

Post #9 by Simon_F3 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:24 pm

essexpete wrote:I think the 42 will be better in the old machine in all but the really coldest UK weather.

Sorry Pete, think that may have been a typo - do you mean the 46? Thanks, Simon :D

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:09 pm

Yes

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”