Jcb 3cx hydrolic oil change

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
kj1123
Flag: Ireland

Jcb 3cx hydrolic oil change

Post #1 by kj1123 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:32 pm

Good evening all as it says in my post I am planning on draining the hydrolic oil from my 1989 jcb 3cx grey cab. The reason for this is I want to clean the pick up filter inside the tank as my power steering seams so slow and also I'm sure it's well over due a change i have the machine over 1 year and have slowly been working through the various jobs. 1st question is what grade oil should I use for best profomance 32 or 46 ? Also will I need to replace the gasket on the inspection plate or will sealant be ok ? What other logical work should i be doing when I have the system drained down as I believe it holds around 135 liters of oil so not something I want to be doing again in a hurry. Any advice or things I should look out while doing this job would be much appreciated. Thanks

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: Jcb 3cx hydrolic oil change

Post #2 by gecko.cx » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:34 am

Unless you plan on working it very hard, 32 will suit your temp range.

On my P8, the gaskets are rubber and if in good condition, can be reused without sealant. If you have any doubts, they are much easier to replace when the tank is empty!!

Mine had a half inch of evil gray slime at the bottom of the tank that I mopped out with a dishwashing sponge

dixie-normous
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by dixie-normous » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:05 pm

If the hydraulic oil doesn't look too bad (it may be like mayonnaise though!) have you considered getting it tested? I don't think it's too expensive and could save you a fortune on new oil given the price of it now. Just a thought
John
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:31 pm

As DN John has said what does the oil look like as a starter? When the machine has stood for a couple of days see if there is any water in the bottom although in my experience water contamination leads to a creamy emulsified sludge.

Topic author
kj1123
Flag: Ireland

Post #5 by kj1123 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:26 pm

Thanks guys haven't drained the oil yet as I want to have my new oil gaskets and whatever else I need on hand before I start. Hopefully we'll things open back up on Saturday ( Bank Holiday at the moment) I'll get oil and if my local dealer has cover plate gaskets I think I'll get them aswell. Will I need to remove the cover plates on both sides I belive the pick up filter is on the lift pump side of the engine is there any benefits I'm removing the plate on the opposite side or can do everything I need on the one side?

Anton_Chigurh
Flag: Guam

Post #6 by Anton_Chigurh » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:29 pm

kj1123 wrote:Thanks guys haven't drained the oil yet as I want to have my new oil gaskets and whatever else I need on hand before I start. Hopefully we'll things open back up on Saturday ( Bank Holiday at the moment) I'll get oil and if my local dealer has cover plate gaskets I think I'll get them aswell. Will I need to remove the cover plates on both sides I belive the pick up filter is on the lift pump side of the engine is there any benefits I'm removing the plate on the opposite side or can do everything I need on the one side?

Did you go ahead with this? how did it all work out for you?

aussiecat
Flag: Australia

Post #7 by aussiecat » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:11 pm

If the gasket looks good, sealant should be fine. While you're at it, check hoses, connections, and the hydraulic fluid filter for wear or damage.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”