JCB 3MkII Wiring For Lights

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
mikefoxo
Flag: Ireland

JCB 3MkII Wiring For Lights

Post #1 by mikefoxo » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:56 pm

Hi all. Currently doing a bit of re-wiring on my 3 MkII. There's two wires coming from the brake lights, one coming from the sidelights. But the wiring diagram shows three for the brakes and two for the sidelights. I think it's the ground wire missing in both cases but there's nowhere to put one. Is the bulb holder itself the ground? It seems to be insulated from the machine by the large rubber grommet. Any advice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dixie-normous
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3MkII Wiring For Lights

Post #2 by dixie-normous » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:00 pm

Hi, you should have a metal reflector behind the lens that holds the bulb in place, the metal outer part of the bulb earths to the reflector, which should be earthed to the body by the screws holding it in place
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

Topic author
mikefoxo

Post #3 by mikefoxo » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. There was no relfector in any of the lights when I took them off. Would the lights work without it? Could I make my own out of some aluminium foil or tape?

kaos
Flag: Iceland

Post #4 by kaos » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:28 am

I *think* that the reflector that John is referring to is just the light base, though judging by your photos it is not doing much reflecting any more. If it is a metal part and has the guides that hold the bulb in place, it should do the job as John described, though you may need to clean it up just to make reliable contact. It may be somewhat dim though, unless you do something about the reflector part. Yes, I guess aluminium tape should help a lot, or metallic spray paint, or even just white paint. Having said that, I took a quick look over on Agriline, and it seems these are standard Land Rover lights (https://agrilineproducts.com/land-rover ... -pair-8902 and https://agrilineproducts.com/land-rover ... -pair-8901), available from them and I daresay many others. And *with* the earth wire which could be helpful on older machines.
--
Regards, Kári.

Topic author
mikefoxo

Post #5 by mikefoxo » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:56 am

Thank you Kári for your response. I had been looking at Land Rover lights on Agriline, they were 73mm, somehow I missed the 70mm ones :doh:

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”