Fluid Fill Point for 3C MKIII Brockhouse T/C and Slew Gear

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
owl
Flag: Great Britain

Fluid Fill Point for 3C MKIII Brockhouse T/C and Slew Gear

Post #1 by owl » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi folks, I m new here so thank you for the wonderful site and information here.
I wonder if anyone would be able to tell me where to top up (or drain and refill) the Brockhouse 11N on my 1978 3C MK3.
I have put off doing this as I was unable to locate the filler and now it has almost lost drive when cold as it has a slow leak and the fluid is now below minimum on the dipstick. Here is the leak,- looks like a filter housing, is this for the TC?

The next question, is the purple arrow pointing to the fill for the slew gearbox? It's the only thing that looks like a possible fill. It is rather small though seems like a ~6mm allen key screw in the middle, almost looks more like an adjuster.

Thanks.

Topic author
owl

Re: Fluid Fill Point for 3C MKIII Brockhouse T/C and Slew Gear

Post #2 by owl » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:56 pm

The filter in the photo is for the TC. I replaced it, the old one was metal and cardboard and had imploded and topped up with 5l of Dexron III the existing fluid was clear and didn't fancy forking out for 20l of ATF without knowing what the problem is. Refilled through the dipstick tube in the cab. It drives great now. I have found the plugs on the slew/king pin are for drain and refill and will try getting these out soon.

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by gecko.cx » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:25 am

Good result!
Check the downloads section for the owners manual (page 3, under jcb)

MrF
Flag: France

Post #4 by MrF » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:39 am

If you look at your cab floorplate, midway there is a breather on the left side, and the top pops off leaving a inch or so diameter tube which is the fill point. It takes a age to fill via the dipstick hole as its tiny but I managed it too before I found out you are supposed to use the breather as a fill point. If your still unsure, look from underneath, you can trace the breather pipe under the floorplate forwards to the trans by eye. It also makes getting off the left floorplate a mild irritant, so might have been omitted by previous owners (worth checking for that reason too, before all the new fluid ends up under the machine where the hose connecting the tube to the next section was missing).
My 3c3 with the same brockhouse was night and day for power when I dropped the fluid & changed that filter, and put new fluid/filters in. You check the oil level with the motor idling. As Gecko says, the manual is in the download section for the 3c3 and covers this well.

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:16 pm

For the cost of oil and some time I would change the oil as Phil has said.

Topic author
owl

Post #6 by owl » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:33 pm

Thank all of you for the useful replies.
I know the breather you mean, I had kind of discounted it being related as it is just an open topped pipe full of grit and cement etc... I better get it cleaned out ASAP.
Sorry to be a pain in the ass, I think I downloaded all the relevant manuals but none of them have anything on page 3. I did find one diagram of the TC filler since my original post and the diagram was ropey - couldn't even tell if it was under the floor pan.

With regards to the slew gear fill, I did find the two bolts listed as plugs so will remove those, just wanted to make sure they were something like bearing preload adjustments and remove them and have springs shooting into the grass etc,...

Thanks again everyone. Also found a third CAV 296 fuel filter cartridge while poking around changing the oil filter, that I omitted to change when doing the other two. I'm used to working on cars, but this is quite different. Full of surprises.

Hillbill
Flag: Malta

Post #7 by Hillbill » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 pm

I had to take up the floor plate to sort my brakes out so took the opportunity to clean out the fill pipe.
If you buy a new trans filter, which is the one in your photo, you get 2 new seals for the top in the housing. One is thin & fits easily & the other is thick & a bit of an ass to fit. I fitted the thin one & after a month developed a drip which steadily got worse & I lost over a gallon of trans fluid. I replaced it with the thick seal & haven't had a problem since.
The slew fill point is on a 4 inch square plate behind the kingpost. The bolt in the centre with the breather pipe is the fill point & has a dipstick built in though it's easier to just remove the plate. Don't just top the oil up, change it as it's only a gallon of EP90. The drain plug is one of the two plugs underneath. My square plate was bent due to water getting in the oil & freezing

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”