Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Munchkinman
Flag: Australia

1983 3cx Steering issue

Post #1 by Munchkinman » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:07 am

Hi All,

First of great site and heaps of info.
I have a 1983 Jcb 3cx. The other day i had an issue moving forward but reverse no problem, and after reading on here about low gear oil i purchased gear oil from jcb and seemed to do the trick for 5 minutes and all of a sudden lost steering.

I checked under for any leaks etc and could not see anything.
The steering wheel would just keep turning to no end without any resistance.

Now i am no mechanic and like many start to get a feel for older machinery. So i assumed there was some kind of cog system.
I removed the steering column which i assume is attached to the pump.
Please see photos of what i found, it appears at the end of the column it has worn to nothing.
My question is
1. does anyone have the workshop manual for this model?
2. there was some remains of some kind of metal collar
3. what would i need to replace?

After removing the remains of the metal collar there was so much gunk where the column and (i think pump meet) i have since cleaned this but does feel quite worn also.

Thanks in advance for any replies.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: 1983 3cx Steering issue

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi David and welcome to the site :wave: there is a 3CX workshop manual in the downloads section so that should help for starters; there are plenty of people on here who can offer you good advice, I don't know what issues you would have with getting parts down under but I would guess that Vicary Plant would export good used parts, you can find them on here or on Google, a very useful and helpful company.

Jeremy

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”