3C water hose

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
CHRISEEBOY
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 3C water hose

Post #11 by CHRISEEBOY » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:07 pm

*UPDATE*

The top hose has not blown off again, it must have just been a loose jube clip (nothing to do with the fact that the hose is too short and naturally wants to pull back).

I have taken MrF's advice and fitted an expansion bottle, though it was easier said than done. As I heated the neck of the radiator to get it up to temp to braze on a spigot, the entire neck dropped off!

Turns out the neck was also brazed on so I had to get a bit imaginitive.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #12 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Nice one :claphands: well done Chris.

Jeremy

MrF
Flag: France

Post #13 by MrF » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Nice, from the shape of the hole in that top tank vs the nice regular shape of the rad filler, I'd say you weren't the first person to do that :)
If it still overheats a bit, do you have the shrouding that fits between the radiator and the front grille? I think that probably helps the cooling to stop the fan recirculating hot air in the engine area so if you have it knocking about its worth putting on, but I'm missing the top panel also.
Your also missing the fan shroud which does the same also that bolts to the engine side of the radiator support. It improves cooling efficiency by a fair bit, it all adds up. I have most of the fan shroud, but there's a lip section attaches to the long gone belt guard, which I'm missing also. One day I'll set to and make one from a strip of metal...
Ive cured mild overheating on a few of my project cars by sourcing & re-adding back the radiator/fan shrouding where a previous owner hasn't been bothered to refit them. Yeah theyre a pain to work around, but the factory didn't fit them for the sake of it.

Hillbill
Flag: Malta

Post #14 by Hillbill » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:57 am

The bottle you are missing isn't an expansion tank as it isn't under pressure. It is just a bottle with a screw on cap that has a hole in it with the missing rubber hose going to the bottom of the bottle without an airtight seal on the cap. The idea is any over pressure/boil over coolant will go into the bottle & when the engine cools down it will draw coolant out of the bottle. If you fit a sealed expansion tank the system will not work as it should.
My 3C111 was overheating after heavy use partly due to dud thermostat & blocked air filter. I threw away the thermostat, replaced the air filter & flushed the system after leaving a bottle of Dr Beckman in overnight. Far better now. As someone said earlier, run at low revs for a few minutes before switching off to cool it down a bit

MrF
Flag: France

Post #15 by MrF » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:27 pm

Hillbill wrote:The bottle you are missing isn't an expansion tank as it isn't under pressure

The factory refers to it as a expansion bottle. How long does your machine take to warm up with no thermostat?
expansion_bottle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #16 by gecko.cx » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:48 am

Just an observation, but when the rad cap starts to vent, the coolant coming out will be 105°C plus.
The PVC tube and nylon cable ties will go very soft and may fall off.
Could I suggest a fibre reinforced hose (preferably rubber) as it will hold its shape better when hot.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”