JCB 3CX Filters

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Gazzz
Flag: Australia

JCB 3CX Filters

Post #1 by Gazzz » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Hi all, I am new here. I have recently bought a 1983 White Cab 3CX, with a Perkins engine, which I am told was a "farm machine" - that's ok, as I am only using it on a small acreage. I am totally out of my depth, but learning as fast as I can. I have greased as many nipples as I can, and have replaced the ones that have been gummed up or.... haven't been there! I expect to find more.

I am now wanting to replace any filters that may need doing. I have done the air filters and am trying to work my way through any others that may need changing. My problem is, the machine is in Australia, and I only know of one outlet, with JCB knowledge, to get parts from, and at the moment, they aren't getting back to me, possibly due to Covid. I am trying to find out what filters I need, but with the exception of the engine oil filter (Delphi 296), and the large hydraulic filter, I can't see what I need to replace, without getting them out, which will leave the machine unusable and exposed to dirt etc. Is there anywhere I can find filter numbers, so I can order some from general local filter suppliers? I am sure I can get some online, but I don't know what to ask for and freight costs from UK suppliers will kill the idea, I am sure.

I believe there is a filter in the hydraulic tank, which possibly has something to do with the steering, but I need to drain the tank before I find what it is... and maybe even then, I won't know it's details. Any ideas/part number? I think there is a strainer in there too, which I hope is something I can just clean and reinsert.

Can anyone please suggest any others and hopefully part numbers or common names? Thanks so much, cheers, Glen

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3CX Filters

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:30 pm

Hi and welcome Glen :wave: there are plenty of JCB experts on here who should be able to point you in the right direction. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Gazzz

Post #3 by Gazzz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:11 am

Thanks Jeremy, I am looking forward to finding out as much info as I can, so I can get the machine doing the jobs I bought it for :) I am finding it frustrating not being able to get going with the projects. Cheers

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by agrimax » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:06 am

The main fuel filter is a Delphi HDF 296(there are loads of cross references for this one). The original sediment/water trap didn't have a filter and is fully washable. That's the one down below the main hydraulic filter but on the inside of the left hand chassis rail. The main hydraulic filter beside the battery is pt no.32/901200(Baldwin PT8411). There's a drain plug under the hyd tank enabling you to drain the oil down before removing the right hand round plate on the side of the tank where there are two strainers.The large round one behind the cover is the suction strainer for the hydraulics..pt no.32/901100 and the one for the steering is further down in the tank to the rear.Pt no.32/901300.It's screwed into the tank fitting. No replacable filter on the transmission on Perkins engined white cabs that I'm aware of except the suction strainer on the oil pickup in the square box on the very bottom of the shuttle box. Not really a service item but it can be washed if need be.
Last edited by agrimax on Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Gazzz

Post #5 by Gazzz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:23 am

Many thanks Agrimax - that's really helpful.
The strainers that are in the hydraulic tank, are they both purely washable?
I thought (in a photo on another site) I had seen what looked like a replaceable filter at the bottom of the tank, possibly something to do with steering. As I think about it, it's probably unlikely that it could be a paper one, but that's what it looked like.

Re: the hydraulic sight glass - is that just plastic tubing or do I need to get the real thing (mine is discoloured)? Where could I find a part number and tubing size?

Once again, many thanks for your help
Cheers

agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:36 am

The filters probably aren't really meant to be washable.Mine aren't paper and I've washed them through before with petrol. The sight tube is just a piece of plastic or nylon tubing. The part no is for 3.5 metres of pipe(647/00339) A bit much when you only need a few inches. Probably best to measure it with calipers for a size.

Topic author
Gazzz

Post #7 by Gazzz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:46 am

Thanks again Agrimax. I am very new to all of this, so I am not trying to be pedantic, but does that mean I should be replacing the filters in the hydraulic tank (I understand that you said you have washed them)? I gather they must be something like plastic. If they should be replaced, where could I find part numbers please?

You have mentioned that they are strainers and also filters - what is the difference or are the terms the same thing said differently? So much to learn!
Cheers

agrimax

Post #8 by agrimax » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:54 pm

Sometimes they are refered to as strainers,sometimes filters. Both mean the same really. I washed mine as they were more of a fine wire mesh than containing paper. Perhaps they were a cheaper after market fitment,I don't know but I never changed them. Yours may have paper type material as I've seen pictures that would suggest that too. The filter part numbers are in post 4 above. There doesn't appear to be any cross references for these two either,that I can find anyway...

Topic author
Gazzz

Post #9 by Gazzz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Once again Agrimax, many thanks. I understand what you are saying. I did see the part numbers, not sure why I asked that - must have been JCB overload!! :o You've been a great help. P.S. You putting that Baldwin part no. has helped me to possibly find a local distributor, which will help no end. Cheers!

gecko.cx

Post #10 by gecko.cx » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:13 am

Hi Gazzz, in Oz, CEA is the local JCB dealer https://www.jcbcea.com.au/ with many branches.
Depending where you are, James (very knowledgable) parts@rht.com.au is competitive on price and hold a lot of stock - generally non-OEM parts.
(freight costs are pretty reasonable for Oz)

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”