JCB 3C Mk2 KingPost Photos?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Bonzo200363
Flag: Norfolk Island

Re: JCB 3C Mk2 KingPost Photos?

Post #11 by Bonzo200363 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:38 pm

I managed to get the paint off the sight tube. I used emery (1200grit) and cutting compound because I wanted a quick fix and hoped the finer abrasive might clean off any external oxidation etc. I don't like using harsh chemicals on plastics or rubber in case they start to degrade them. I might just do the sensible thing and replace the tube with a length of reinforced clear tubing. The JCB has stood a week without activity, so any residual pressure (except atmospheric pressure) should have vented through the many leaky pipes. If I'm quick enough taking the old one off and putting the new one on, I shouldn't spill too much fluid..... 8-/.

Got absorbed in removing the whole of the brake assembly on one side, stripping it and cleaning it, so the other side will have to wait for the weekend.
I'll need to order at least a couple of friction units (I want to call them shoes, but they're really disks). The inborad one was more worn, so I will save that as a last gasp 'spare'.

All the best,

Steve

ps. I don't have a diagram, but I'm assuming that the central hole of the brake outer casting (that which goes around the splined drive shaft) should have either a rubber or a felt dust shield fitting into it, as it has a recess which looks perfect for that purpose. - But my assembly has nothing fitted. - Or am I over engineering things here?

pps.

I agree with the comment about how awful machines look with everything painted the stock colour including rubber items, hoses etc. The finished machines would gain so much from spending a bit of time masking off items which will flake paint once they start to flex or expand and contract anyway!!! (That's my OCD coming out again).

Buster 3c
Flag: Ireland

Re: JCB 3C Mk2 KingPost Photos?

Post #12 by Buster 3c » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:11 pm

Hi is there a seal on swing boom cylinder; I've bad oil leak from where it's bolted on with 4 bolts

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”