Dipstick - JCB 3C mk3

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
CHRISEEBOY
Flag: Great Britain

Dipstick - JCB 3C mk3

Post #1 by CHRISEEBOY » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:44 am

Are there any fellow 3c owners who could do me a favour and measure the length of their dipstick?

I just need to compare if my dipstick is the same so I know its the correct length. I know I'm setting myself up for all kinds of innuendo but I genuinely think my dipstick is too short and need confirmation.

Thank you in advance :thumbup:

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Dipstick - JCB 3C mk3

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:14 am

Chris sometimes for different applications the engine manufacturers did alter the length of dipsticks; and here I am taking it that you are referring to the engine dipstick and not the transmission dipstick fitted to automatic transmissions?

The best way to ensure you have the correct oil level is to drain your oil into a clean container (unless you intend changing it) and fit a new filter so the oil in there gets drained, then use a good quality measuring jug and pour in the exact recommended quantity and mark your dipstick to suit, that's how I would set about tackling this issue, hope that helps.

Jeremy

Topic author
CHRISEEBOY

Post #3 by CHRISEEBOY » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:32 pm

Yes Jeremy, engine oil. I'm pretty sure I put the exact volume of oil in it after I put the engine back together but it didn't even touch the dip stick. So I put in another litre and it just touched the bottom of the dip stick, then about 2 more litres took the level to full on the dipstick. After a few hours operation I checked the oil and it was just touching the dipstick again! I thought i must have a pretty major leak as the bottom half and front of the engine was wet with oil. I added 2 more litres to get it just below full and went back to work but the same thing happened again.

At this point I was out of oil and decied to continue working the digger but keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge (which is the only gauge that still works) and it stayed in the green. I have worked the digger several more hours since then and the oil pressure remains in the green and the oil level just touches the tip of the dipstick. This has lead me to the conclusion that my dipstick is too short. If a fellow 3C owner could measure the length of their dipstick it might confirm my theory and put my mind at ease.

MrF
Flag: France

Post #4 by MrF » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:23 pm

Which sump do you have on, the alloy or the metal one? The balanced engines pressed steel sump oil capacity is 9.6l and the aluminium is 11.
Confusingly the unbalanced engines both types have 11 but I'm going to guess that the balance mechanism takes up 1,4l of space :)
I'll measure up the dipstick from a alloy sump model in the am if that helps, as it could be that someone has fitted a metal sump dipstick in a alloy sump engine...

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks Phil I never knew there was two types of sump fitted on this engine? :wtf:

Jeremy

Topic author
CHRISEEBOY

Post #6 by CHRISEEBOY » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Cheers MrF. It is a pressed steel sump and I think I looked up the capacity at the time and seem to remember putting 9.6L in but it didn't even touch the dipstick, hence putting the extra 3L in but that was probably a mistake in hindsight.

Could it also be a possibility that its original dipstick was lost and a previous owner put any old dipstick in from a car?

MrF

Post #7 by MrF » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:47 pm

Alloy sump'd engine in my machine restamped 4/98 is 310mm from the max level to the bottom of the bit that stops it falling into the tube further, and the min mark is 335mm from it.
You could have a unbalanced engine (did you take the sump off at one point? if so you'll know as the balance mechanism hangs down into the sump under the crank and gets in the way of everything if it is balanced), if so the magic number might be 11L even with the pressed steel sump in that case.

Jeremy, the leyland rebuild manual also lists a oil quantity for cast iron sumps on 4/98's (9.1L) , that must have weighed a bit to hold in place fitting! I can only guess at a marine fitment never having seen one in the iron so to speak :)

Topic author
CHRISEEBOY

Post #8 by CHRISEEBOY » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:55 pm

Thats great, thanks MrF I really appriciate it. My entire dipstick isnt even 300mm long to I think you have proven my hypothesis - my dipsick is too short.

I have a balanced engine with a pressed steel sump so should the oil be at the same level as yours or is it impossible to say because yours is aluminium? Could you also take a look at the handle of my dipstick in the photo and compare it to yours. Does it look different?

Thanks again for your time.

MrF

Post #9 by MrF » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:00 pm

No, mine looks like a P shape which you put your finger through the P, however the engine I took out has a dipstick the same in appearance as yours but has a cast alloy sump as well, and also the leyland engine workshop manual shows a dipstick the same shape.
Its possible the one above I've measured is for a earlier engine, or someones stuck a unbalanced tractor engine in the 3c2 that donated it. All bets are off on which is correct I'm afraid.
I can measure the one out the old engine, but I'll have to dig the box trailer its inside out the garden first which might be a bit of a adventure. I could do with emptying it and putting the engine somewhere better to store now anyway now I have a forklift so it will be a next weekend thing.
If in the meantime anyone else has a 4/98 to hand, could you measure also?

Topic author
CHRISEEBOY

Post #10 by CHRISEEBOY » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:25 pm

MrF, I think you and I have the only 3Cs still running :lol:

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”