JCB 3?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3?

Post #11 by mechman » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:52 pm

Don't know yet the guy said it didn't slew it tries but fails. I only got near it today and worked on the front end. with a bit of luck it could be seals.

agrimax

Post #12 by agrimax » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:13 am

If the seals in the slew pots fail,the slew actuator housing overfills with oil and leaks out around the bottom of the kingpost. When I had a mk 3 (28 years ago) it lost slewing and it was the splines up the inside of the king post that had worn away. Iirc,the splines on the pinion shaft that rises up out of the slew actuator housing and meshes with those in the post,were still ok.
It was a mk 2 post that I used on the mk 3 actuator but I don't think that a mk 3 post can be used on a mk 2,unless the complete carriage assembly is swapped on the rails.If the splines are worn away,the backactor can be pulled around from one side to the other by hand.

Topic author
mechman

Post #13 by mechman » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:33 pm

Hi all.
I know this has a Leyland engine and up to now I don't know the proper ID of it. (Leyland what) size type etc. I'm gonna do the tappets and need the gap settings etc. I'll get back to the machine a week on Sat and get more info/pics then. Thanks in advance for the info.
Norm.

agrimax

Post #14 by agrimax » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:50 am

Valve clearances are 13 thou on all valves. Probably a 3.8TD if it has an inline Simms injector pump or a 4/98NT if it has a rotary CAV pump. Not sure when the changeover came in but the valve clearances are the same.

MrF
Flag: France

Post #15 by MrF » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:57 am

if its a mk2 (and its the same as the one I had recently), there's another id plate on the tractor skid itself put there by leyland, stand alone from the machine's skid id plates. Mine was id'ing it as a 384 skid, which gets you the range for the engine fitted and base skid if nothing else.
The best id however is if the numbers are still visible is the stamping on the block casting on the top surface just left of the head gasket at the gearbox end of the engine and on the airfilter side. That should get you the engine series, as I think some of the simms pump machines were 4/98's for a while also.

Just to note, that's not a original leyland engine number as the digits are not in the correct format, someone has restamped this, so still a bit unsure what model it is as it has the earlier simms pump & injectors. Its in my 3c3 now and running happily. Valve clearances are the same for both 38dt and 4/98's.

There's a leyland engine rebuild manual in the jcb downloads that's worth a peruse.

topkit

Post #16 by topkit » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:10 pm

I would say that is a 1971 or 72 machine, It is possible that the front loader arms and bucket have been changed at some point in the diggers life, the arms, bucket rams and bucket all look like they are from a JCB 3 mk2 or a 2D mk2 the bucket is smaller than the normal 3c one. The loader arm are well known for cracking around the pivot points.

Topic author
mechman

Post #17 by mechman » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:19 pm

Topkit.
I did notice the difference between the loading arms, bucket etc, to the 3CIII. next to it, but took as a change in models. It's a bit of a learning curve. The bucket looks wrong, it barely touches the ground when the loading arms are down, I could be wrong though( often am).
Norm.

Topic author
mechman

Post #18 by mechman » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Hi all.
Had a quote to re core the shot rad, £250 is that Ok? Never had one done before.
Norm. :?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #19 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:50 pm

mechman wrote:Hi all.
Had a quote to re core the shot rad, £250 is that Ok? Never had one done before.
Norm. :?

Norm I haven't had a rad repaired but I would have thought that this was not a bad price, what do others think, do you know anywhere cheaper that does a good job?

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #20 by mechman » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:26 pm

Jeremy
I just found out about the repairers today. It's in Scunthorpe. Grimsby council use them for their vehicles. One of the guys is phoning around today. Vicary plant for a used one maybe.
Norm.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”