JCB 3?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3?

Post #41 by mechman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:39 pm

Hi all.
I was reading in the manual that the hydraulic slew circuit has some kind of relief valve in it, has anyone had any experience with them or where it is?
I have the Haynes manual (not good got it given) on the 3c iii and 3cii.
This is kind of a last gasp attempt at nailing the slewing problem before giving in to the king post. As I've mentioned it does slew very slowly either way but offers no resistance and there's no mechanical noises from it so that got me wondering if the hydraulic pressure on the slew pots was being diverted. (could be dreaming here).
Norm :dizzy:

dixie-normous

Post #42 by dixie-normous » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi Norm, same thing happened on a mate's 3c11, would slew very slowly and could just push it round by hand. Turned out to be the slew gears were stripped, the local JCB dealer said the gears are now unavailable. He used to have them made but the chap making them for him has retired so he can't get any more,said the only option was to find a good second hand kingpost. Not saying that is definitely your problem, hopefully its something simple
John
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

Topic author
mechman

Post #43 by mechman » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:48 am

Hi John.
Was it the post or the splined shaft that failed or both?
Norm.

dixie-normous

Post #44 by dixie-normous » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:24 am

Sorry Norm, been trying to remember exactly what failed but it was a few years ago now, all i can remember is that we couldn't get the bits to fix it. It may well have been the splines but i can't be 100% on that. Was told it was a common problem on old machines where the driver had a habit of using the slew to push soil sideways. If that is the problem there may be someone making the parts again now, we never got round to fixing it, the engine was very tired so he sold it for spares. Sorry i can't be more help, hope you get it sorted
John
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

Jeremy Rowland

Post #45 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Norm, Vicary plant may have some good used ones but you need to confirm that is the issue first.

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #46 by mechman » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:16 am

Hi Jeremy.
They have have one but the money side of it Isn't up to me.
Norm.

Topic author
mechman

Post #47 by mechman » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:26 pm

Hi all.
Had another go at the (lack of) brakes. when I eventually got them apart I found that they needed a tad of TLC,(Both sides were the same) anyway cleaned them up and re fitted them. The pedal assembly and the floor to go back in on another day. I know the mechanism will work but whether the brakes will work who knows.
Norm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
mechman

Post #48 by mechman » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi all
Well refitted the brakes etc and they actually work, Hand brake included' but that's with the machine up on stabilizers. I reckon It'll be a different ball game once there're some weight behind them. They didn't work at all before hand so it's got to be an improvement. sorry no pics as the weather was rather inclement.
Norm.

Baste
Flag: Australia

Post #49 by Baste » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:07 am

Hi Norm. Did you need to replace the discs in your brakes. Just pulled mine apart as they did not work at all. Axle oil seals are leaking and the discs have worn right down to a smooth surface. Just wondering if you had a source for purchasing the discs as there doesn't seem to be a lot of JCB spare parts suppliers in OZ for the older machines.
Thanks, Ted

Topic author
mechman

Post #50 by mechman » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Hi Baste.
I didn't replace any parts as the people ( Organisation it belongs to are very careful with Finances) The discs were well worn to the point that the radial grooves were barely noticeable. As you can see in the pics all the bits were in a right state. Vicary plant have used ones at £20 a pair ( I think) Don't know what postage will be to your neck of the woods. You can get the Leyland tractor discs ( a lot cheaper)but they aren't as hard wearing, as the JCB has the extra weight of the back actor to contend with.
Norm.
Last edited by mechman on Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”