JCB 3C3 build 3 Torque Converter

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Hillbill
Flag: Malta

JCB 3C3 build 3 Torque Converter

Post #1 by Hillbill » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:03 pm

3C111 build 3 torque converter troubles. This morning, sometimes selecting forward gave nothing & required 2 or 3 goes to get moving forward & neutral sometimes gave reverse. This afternoon machine running fine, jumped off to pick something up & when I got back on no forward or reverse. Left to cool for 2 hours & still the same. Can change gears with fwd or rev selected. Oil is full. Any ideas?

essexpete

Re: JCB 3C3 build 3 Torque Converter

Post #2 by essexpete » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:36 pm

Years since I used one of those. Is it the type with the small fwd/rev lever of left of steering column? I can't remember oil check procedure, some need to be checked when running or immediately on stop. Check the oil for clean look and smell. Drop some oil on a piece of clean white paper. When the drive does take up does the machine then perform normally?

Topic author
Hillbill

Post #3 by Hillbill » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:00 pm

essexpete wrote:Years since I used one of those. Is it the type with the small fwd/rev lever of left of steering column? I can't remember oil check procedure, some need to be checked when running or immediately on stop. Check the oil for clean look and smell. Drop some oil on a piece of clean white paper. When the drive does take up does the machine then perform normally?

Check oil on engine stop & it is perfect. Oil on dipstick is very clean too. Machine was working fine, jumped off & left idling for 2 or 3 minutes, jumped back on & no fwd or rev. Linkage is all ok from lever. Pump feels like it's running ok. Going to check the suction strainer & filter next. Someone on fb said he had the same symptoms with a suction line leak. Other options are worn direction & modulating valves

MrF
Flag: France

Post #4 by MrF » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:11 pm

You check the oil in the torque converter with the engine running at idle after running for a few minutes to fill the cooler up etc, or it shows a false level because the oil cooler is higher than the torque converter and drains back. I would check the oil level correctly before getting into more indepth fixes because this is exactly how mine behaves when its too low.
You can find the manuals for your machine on this very site thanks to Holgar and the others who keep it running. app.php/dl_ext/?cat=5

Topic author
Hillbill

Post #5 by Hillbill » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:40 pm

MrF wrote:You check the oil in the torque converter with the engine running at idle after running for a few minutes to fill the cooler up etc, or it shows a false level because the oil cooler is higher than the torque converter and drains back. I would check the oil level correctly before getting into more indepth fixes because this is exactly how mine behaves when its too low.
You can find the manuals for your machine on this very site thanks to Holgar and the others who keep it running. app.php/dl_ext/?cat=5

Oil is fine at idle & immediately on stop. Pressure gauge has always been a bit dicky but now the needle is flapping & going off the scale so I'm thinking blocked filter

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”