3CX with noisy slewing.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Scooby
Flag: Great Britain

3CX with noisy slewing.

Post #1 by Scooby » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:39 pm

Have owned successive JCB 180 machines since 1969 but never had this before.

My 2003 3CX has developed a noise when slewing. It's coming from the bottom of the kingpost/rams area. I wouldn't call it screeching, it sounds more like 2 soft things rubbing together. It's not hoses rubbing against each other but that kind of noise. It still slews O.K. but maybe a little slower than normal. The noise is worse when slewing one way than the other. Could this be breakup of seals in one of the slewing rams ? Any advice/pointers greatly appreciated. Machine at work but can't get the image to show without clicking it.
P200916_15.32-small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Six up front .............................means plenty of grunt.

Image Image

topkit

Re: 3CX with noisy slewing.

Post #2 by topkit » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:22 pm

I would think its a seal if your machine is a 2003 that will have rams operating the slew rather than the old rack and pinion set up. There is not alot else it can be apart from something jammed in one side of the ram. I sold my project 12 so i cant go outside and have a look.

Topic author
Scooby

Post #3 by Scooby » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 am

topkit wrote:I would think its a seal if your machine is a 2003 that will have rams operating the slew rather than the old rack and pinion set up. There is not alot else it can be apart from something jammed in one side of the ram. I sold my project 12 so i cant go outside and have a look.

Thank you for your reply. but I made a terrible mistake - it's a 1993 machine and it is the rack and pinion system on it. Apologies for that.

I looked at the V5 to check the date and it says date of first registration is 2003 but it is an L reg. machine so it looks like DVLA have made a mistake. I'm pretty sure that it's a Project 8 digger.

Image Image

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by gecko.cx » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:38 am

Have you checked there is oil in the slewbox?
Mine only had water in it :wtf:

Topic author
Scooby

Post #5 by Scooby » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:29 pm

gecko.cx wrote:Have you checked there is oil in the slewbox?
Mine only had water in it :wtf:

Now this is where it becomes difficult ! I am very embarrassed and thoroughly ashamed of what I discovered today but I am going to tell all because two of you have tried to help me.
The machine isn't used very much nowadays, I am way past retirement age and I only use it on my small place. But I have owned and operated various JCB 180 machines continuously since 1969 and a host of other machinery in my contracting and farming business. Anyway, a few months ago I had to renew the seals in the boom ram and when I had got it all back together I decided to give the old girl a birthday and so greased everything, changed oils where needed (and yes, I checked the oil in the slew box)

But I didn't grease everything did I ? I obviously didn't grease the kingpin. I was using the machine this morning for a little job and stood by the side of it and operated the slew. The noise just didn't sound like an oil seal breaking up somehow. So when I'd finished the little job down the field I came back up to the yard and greased the 2 nipples for the kingpin. One at the top and the off-set one down at the bottom. I use a bucket greaser and pumped plenty in and then slewed the back actor a few times and the noise gradually disappeared.

Thanks again for your help but I am feeling a bit of a pratt today ! :oops:

Image Image

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:38 am

Well done Scrooby might help someone in the future.

Topic author
Scooby

Post #7 by Scooby » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 am

essexpete wrote:Well done Scrooby might help someone in the future.

Thank you. I consoled myself last night with a pint and remembered what one of my old customers used to tell me. He always said that the man that never made a mistake never made anything and I always hark back to those wise words when I've been a pratt. :D

Image Image

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #8 by gecko.cx » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:21 am

Good result.

On my 'to do' list is to take the Operators Manual in one hand and a black marker in the other.
Then number all the sodding nipples in order so I can find the one I missed.

There are 44 on the loader, 21 on a side mount Hoe(inc 3 on the kingpin), 27 on the centre mount (more if you have a quick hitch), plus at least 13 on the front axel and six on the drive shafts.
I've never seen an all-wheel-steer machine, so I'll ignore those!.
A 4 in 1 bucket will add a few.

have I missed any?!

MrF
Flag: France

Post #9 by MrF » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:50 pm

gecko.cx wrote:have I missed any?!

Probably, we've all found a well hidden or the remains of a smashed off grease nipple where we never knew one was at some point, which is quickly followed by the realization that as a result its never been greased in our ownership...

agrimax

Post #10 by agrimax » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:58 pm

Don't forget 3 on the pump drivehaft...

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”