JCB 3CIII

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
CFD
Flag: Ireland

JCB 3CIII

Post #1 by CFD » Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 pm

Hi all....been on the forum for some time now - getting good information etc. to keep my 3CIII going. However, after completing a self-build, and approaching the end of the heavy work, I feel its time to give it some more TLC. Initially when I got it, some time was spent on it to get into into mechanically sound shape for work, but its time it got some more attention now and as I can afford to leave it lying up for some time now I can look at some of the bigger jobs - cab repair, engine work, ram seals, worn bushes, brakes etc. I have an interest in the older machinery having restored a number of vintage motorbikes and Land rovers - oldest Land rover being a 1952 Series 1.

So first up are the obligatory pictures below. It has the 4 in 1 front bucket and extendadig. the ID plate is missing from the side of it so I haven't been able to put an exact year/date on it.

Its a torque converter model - Brockhouse build as far as I can tell (pic showing underneath) - but maybe someone could confirm that for me? Is this what is also referred to as "Build 3"?

The aim now is to give it some attention over the coming year. Doing another Land rover as well - a Series 3, so will split the time between them (and a few other projects ongoing.... :D ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3CIII

Post #2 by agrimax » Mon May 10, 2021 12:06 am

A Brockhouse Build 3 is correct Ciaran.From years '77 or '78.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Mon May 10, 2021 12:18 am

Top spec machine in the day, not many with extending dipper.

Topic author
CFD

Post #4 by CFD » Mon May 10, 2021 12:34 am

agrimax wrote:A Brockhouse Build 3 is correct Ciaran.From years '77 or '78.

Ok, thanks for confirming Agrimax. I picked up Julian Carder's Owners Workshop Manual (Haynes) and its been very helpful in getting things figured out - along with the factory manual and engine service manual from the downloads section here.

I read on the forum that there were numbers on the nearside chassis member - along the engine - that can help with dating / ID'ing the machine. Is this correct? I cant find/see anything in the area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by agrimax » Mon May 10, 2021 9:32 am

Here's an old thread showing the location...but,maybe you've seen it.
JCB 3C Mk3 Chassis Number Location

Topic author
CFD

Post #6 by CFD » Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 am

agrimax wrote:Here's an old thread showing the location...but, maybe you've seen it.
JCB 3C Mk3 Chassis Number Location

Thanks, yes, that was indeed the thread where I had seen it. I will go back again later today and check it again, hopefully get some numbers that I can then check with JCB.

MrF
Flag: France

Post #7 by MrF » Mon May 10, 2021 10:56 am

Sure you have worked it out by now, but to state the obvious the stamping in Mark Rive's thread is on the engine chassis member obscured in your photo by the transmission oil cooler hose, and you have cleaned off the hydrachassis which sits above this.
I have almost the same machine, except I don't have a extenda-dig but do have the 4-in-1, I'm curious how much heavier it makes the back of the machine if you have any experience of a normal one to compare against as I keep seeing one for sale locally(well in same country) but have been put off by people saying they are much heavier at the back with one. Curiously a few of us seem to have land rovers too, I have a 90 and a 101FC.

Also would you mind sharing a better photo of your bucket fork setup showing the brackets between the forks and the bucket especially? I'm going to cut the homemade bucket eyes off that I have on mine now and try to replicate the originals better.

Topic author
CFD

Post #8 by CFD » Mon May 10, 2021 4:49 pm

Yes, just had a quick look at it now, and its a different chassis structure to the pic in the other thread....on mine there is no rail/beam in the same place where the number is stamped in the thread. I took a pic of if from the side - the number in the other thread is stamped on a rail to the right of the three bolt heads - but as you can see I don't have a chassis beam there....I will do a proper clean in the area and see if the number is somewhere else in that general area....

Topic author
CFD

Post #9 by CFD » Mon May 10, 2021 5:06 pm

MrF wrote:I have almost the same machine, except I don't have a extenda-dig but do have the 4-in-1, I'm curious how much heavier it makes the back of the machine if you have any experience of a normal one to compare against as I keep seeing one for sale locally(well in same country) but have been put off by people saying they are much heavier at the back with one. Curiously a few of us seem to have land rovers too, I have a 90 and a 101FC.

Also would you mind sharing a better photo of your bucket fork setup showing the brackets between the forks and the bucket especially? I'm going to cut the homemade bucket eyes off that I have on mine now and try to replicate the originals better.

I don't have any experience of how the weight at the back compares to a normal one without the extenda dig, unfortunately.

Some pics of the fork attachment arrangement on the bucket. They are later forks, so fold up neater and I made up the plates to attach them to the bucket...let me know if you want any other pics....can pop over to the shed and take a few more....the advantages (or disadvantages?) of running a business from home....!

Topic author
CFD

Post #10 by CFD » Mon May 10, 2021 5:15 pm

One with the fork down in use....

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”