JCB 3CX Hydraulic Pump Removal

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Soulman
Flag: Ireland

JCB 3CX Hydraulic Pump Removal

Post #1 by Soulman » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:57 pm

Hi

I have a JCB 3CX Grey cab 1988 and the hydraulic pump has been leaking at the shaft for a few years. I have to leave a container under the machine as it makes a right mess if left up for a few weeks. So i'm sick of topping it up with Hydraulic oil and i have decided to get the leak resolved.

what is the procedure to remove the hydraulic pump? does the hydraulic tank have to be bled first?

appreciate if someone that has removed a hydraulic pump on a grey cab 3cx has any tips or pointers on how to best go about the task.

Thanks in advance
Bill.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3CX Hydraulic Pump Removal

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:43 pm

I would suggest that you seal the feed and return hoses to the pump before you remove the pump or I suspect you may lose the contents of most of your hydraulic oil reservoir, while I have not done this job on a JCB I would suspect that the pump would be self bleeding, I would make sure that the pump has some oil in it before you start the machine back up.
Other members on here will be able to offer more detailed advice.

Jeremy

Topic author
Soulman

Post #3 by Soulman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:44 pm

Right so i have had a go at this and i successfully removed the pump. What i did was get the machine into a good accessible position. Then i removed the front grill. I cranked the engine until the grub screw in the hydraulic pump drive shaft was accessible and i removed the grub screw (the grub scrub secures the drive shaft to the spline of the hydraulic pump shaft). Next I drained the Hydraulic oil by opening the bung under the hydraulic tank. Then I opened the two hydraulic pipes on the output side of the hydraulic pump and put a shallow tray under the pipes to drain the oil in the pipes (u could also block the pipes of course) and opened the Jubilee Clips on the large feed pipe to the pump from the hydraulic tank. Next I opened the two nuts/bolts that retain the pump in place. Then I was able to slide the pump out with a bit of manoeuvring and disconnect it from the drive shaft and the large input feed pipe. Note half the drive shaft came out with the pump which wasn't any issue as it fits through the opening provided. The part of the shaft that connects to the pump has a grip on the spline so i'll remove that next.

Topic author
Soulman

Post #4 by Soulman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:29 pm

I got the drive shaft removed from the spline today, then I removed the circlip on the shaft in front of the shaft seal. I opened the four bolts securing the pump together. I then removed the section of the pump containing the shaft seal and the shaft seal was well damaged and worn. I called to my local engineering shop but they only had a low pressure seal in the correct size so i have to source the high pressure seal else where. I tried abbey seals in Dublin but they didn't have the seal.
Last edited by Soulman on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:34 pm

Have you checked the shaft for wear? I have never had a pump leak like yours on all the old dogs of machines we have had over the years. Only pulled pumps for engine out or fan belt. Good luck.

Topic author
Soulman

Post #6 by Soulman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:58 pm

The shaft looks in decent condition where the seal sits.

bit of info for anyone looking to get the shaft seal.

The pump in my JCB 3CX 1988 is a Hydreco Hamworthy pump id: P2AJ190705A106

The shaft seal is a high pressure seal with the imperial dimensions as follows:

outer is 1 and 5/8 inch
inner is 1 1/8 inch
1/4 inch high

I ordered the Shaft seal kit from Vicary Plant Spares in the UK, they were very helpful in sourcing the correct seal for my pump. They got onto Hydreco for me. Neil Malin was the chap in Vicary that i dealt with and as i say, very helpful chap. There are two kits for the P2AJ190705A106 pump, i only needed the shaft end kit as the pump is in two sections.

Kit costs £65 inc delivery.

The Seal kit comes from White House Products Ltd - www.whp.co.uk

If you wanted to re-seal the complete Tandem pump then you would need two of the following seal kit. However if it is just the one section you want to reseal you will only need one.

Our no. 5H1/1900PA01 = Hydreco no. KP2APJ19000
cost: £55.18 net , delivery: In stock

We can also offer a Warynski equivalent tandem pump as follows:

Our no. 5H2/40045JCB
cost: £594.63 nett

Topic author
Soulman

Post #7 by Soulman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:24 pm

The plain bearing seal Kit number (including shaft seal) for the Hydreco Hamworthy pump id: P2AJ190705A106 is

Hydreco Kit no: DBH KP2APJ19000

WHP Identifier: 5H1/1900PA01 - ww.whp.co.uk

Topic author
Soulman

Post #8 by Soulman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:00 am

I fitted the pump seals today and reassembled the pump and its back and working great thank god.
I replaced the seals and the back-up on the wear plates and fitted the new double lip seal at the shaft. Also new O-Ring was fitted between the housing surfaces of the pump. I smeared some grease on the lips pf the the double lip shaft seal and i also applied JCB high strength gasketing to the outside of the seal and aligned it properly in the housing. Take care sliding the housing over the shaft not to damage the double lip seal. I tightened the 4 bolts securing the pump together. I replaced the circlip on the shaft and refitted the half drive shaft and tightened the grub screw. Bit of work to refit the pump back in the machine. I unscrewed the drive shaft dust cap (engine side) and slid it over the part of the shaft that connects to the pump. Then i connected the drive shaft of the pump to the drive shaft section that is connected to the engine, then screw the dust cap back on. Refit the large hydraulic feed pipe coming from the tank to the pump, its easier to do this before the pump is fully secured in place, i found. Then bolt the pump back into its proper position and tighten up. Tighten the jubilee clips on the hydraulic feed pipe and refit the two output hydraulic lines. I then refilled the hydraulic tank and started the engine and tested. Hydraulics are working fine and the pump is running nice and smooth. No sign of any leaking at the shaft seal now.

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:08 am

Did you take out the rad for that?

Topic author
Soulman

Post #10 by Soulman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:53 am

No need to take the Rad out on grey cab 3cx. I had no issue removing the pump with the Radiator in place. when u disconnect the pump and pull it out, the shaft will split in two . You then remove the half shaft from the pump spline when the pump is removed.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”