How to remove stuck roll pin

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
3crows
Flag: United States of America

How to remove stuck roll pin

Post #1 by 3crows » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 pm

I have a JCB 1400B backhoe. The hydraulic ram that operates the boom is leaking badly and I need to replace the seals. I've tried to remove the roll pin at the rear of the cylinder but it won't move. I used a 1 1/2" steel pin against it and beat on it with a sledge til the 1 1/2" dowel started to mushroom. Didn't move. The rod end pin moves easily. It's inside the boom and the only way to get to the seals is to remove the ram from the boom. From other posts that I've read, the pin should slide out as the top rod pin does. I've got the hoe arm stretched out on the ground and there's no pressure on the pins. I've beat on it from both sides. I'm feared the only solution will be to burn it out. I've posted this on several forums but haven't received an answer that works so far.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: How to remove stuck roll pin

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi and welcome :wave: somebody on here should be able to offer you advice; while I can't picture in my mind exactly where this roll pin is, have you had any heat on it? Could you get in with a carbide drill bit to drill it out?

Jeremy

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Slooby » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:58 pm

Just so we're clear, the pin that you are trying to remove, is it the one numbered 15 in these images of the King Post?

And (I'm not trying to be funny, just getting the situation understood) you've been able to get the securing bolt labelled 16 out too?
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by gecko.cx » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Just a thought - have you loosened off the hydraulic lines to make sure there is no compression from the ram?

I'm interested in how you go because mine has an irritating internal leak in the same ram and it'll need a rebuild.

Topic author
3crows

Post #5 by 3crows » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:50 pm

Slooby wrote:Just so we're clear, the pin that you are trying to remove, is it the one numbered 15 in these images of the King Post?

And (I'm not trying to be funny, just getting the situation understood) you've been able to get the securing bolt labelled 16 out too?

Aye, that's the pin. I had to drift the through bolt out as the holes were a bit out of line and the pin wouldn't move to line it up. The boom is stretched out on the ground and there is no pressure from the ram. The top rod pin moves easily.

Topic author
3crows

Post #6 by 3crows » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:58 pm

Through bolt = Security bolt for me

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Ahh now I can see what you are trying to get out (I for some reason had pictured a scroll pin in my mind :doh: ); it's the actual pin that holds the bottom of the ram cylinder, my best suggestion would be to gently heat it up then belt 'seven shades' out of it.

Jeremy

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by Slooby » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Heat, as Jeremy says, is usually your friend in this sort of situation.

But a couple of things rattling round in my head about this: are you able to grease that pin or will it simply not take any grease?

If it will take grease through the nipple in the end of the ram then the pin should rotate freely, if it will rotate then it should come out, unless of course it is so worn that it has a step in it and essentially the ram has dropped and will be locking it in place. So no amount of heat or bashing on it is going to help. If everything is unloaded and the other end of the ram free, I wonder if it could be as simple as moving the ram on the pin and lining it up so the pin can be slid out?
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #9 by gecko.cx » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:56 am

3crows wrote:How to remove stuck roll pin

Both here and over on [url]Plant Talk[/url], I think you've confused a few people by calling a "solid steel pin" a "roll pin"

roll pin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:07 pm

gecko.cx wrote:
3crows wrote:How to remove stuck roll pin

Both here and over on [url]Plant Talk[/url], I think you've confused a few people by calling a "solid steel pin" a "roll pin"

roll pin.jpg

Yes that was my initial thought of what was the issue.

Jeremy

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”