Muir Hill loaders

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
TitanCat
Flag: New Zealand

Muir Hill loaders

Post #1 by TitanCat » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:35 pm

Does anyone know or have any photographs of the the actual machines which Matchbox/Lesney based the #29 tractor shovel toy from ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Muir Hill loaders

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:27 pm

Hi Craig and welcome to the site :wave: the short answer is that I don't know exactly what Muir Hill tractor model this was based on, the company made various tractors of that type of design from the late sixties to around the mid seventies, the shovel fitting was not standard equipment from what I can gather.
Perhaps somebody else here knows a little more information and can offer some advice.

Jeremy

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by hair bear » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi,
I hadn't considered this model as a Muir-Hill, but look again and there are similarities when compared to the King-Size 171. A lot of later Matchbox 75 range and King-size models had a considerable amount of artistic licence applied - I'd like to see a 171 with a chrome supercharger scoop on the bonnet!
In the real world it would be mechanically next to useless with a large percentage of the engine in front of the lead axle before adding the loader, lots of tailwagging, and with the lift rams down either side of the bonnet the turning circle would be measured in acres, not feet. For practicality, put the loader the other end in a reverse drive setup and you have a UK built Michigan.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:10 pm

I always thought that was loosely based and designed by someone who probably knew next to nowt.

Topic author
TitanCat
Flag: New Zealand

Post #5 by TitanCat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:58 am

Thanks for you feedback guys. I know of no Muir Hill machines that made their way down here to the southern antipities

JimInOz
Flag: Australia

Post #6 by JimInOz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:50 am

As a kid,I had a Matchbox diecast model of a Muir Hill with a detachable (slide-on) blade.
There were Muir-Hill tractors working in Australia in the early 80s ,at a match tree plantation.

These pictures are from a Grays Online Auction 2014 ($7500).

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”