3C mk2 Half shaft housing gaskets

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Ericn
Flag: Ireland

Re: 3C mk2 Half shaft housing gaskets

Post #11 by Ericn » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:42 am

more images showing correct orientation of driven gear and inner tapered halfshaft bearing, note the small hole drilled underneath the self aligining bearing near the top of the halfshaft, mine was blocked with sludge, its an oil drain hole for the self aligning bearing which allows oil which lubricates the bearing to seep back into the gearbox, on the other photos i attached above, you can see everything after a good cleaning, inside the housing was filthy , I used petrol to clean it, the wear ring is shown with hammer marks to expand and remove it without using a grinder, this method worked very well.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #12 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:17 pm

Eric first I apologise as I haven't had the time to fully read your post but looking at the damage to the half shaft seal face, it would be possible to get it metal sprayed and turned back or perhaps a seal with a wear sleeve, you would need to put some Loctite behind the wear sleeve to prevent the oil bypassing the seal that way, just a thought.

Jeremy

Topic author
Ericn
Flag: Ireland

Post #13 by Ericn » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi jeremy, I plan on getting a new wear sleeve to put on the half shafts, I think Charnleys in the UK sell them for about 30 pound each excluding vat, il let you know whether or not they fit :)

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”