1985 JCB 3cx-4 Wont Go Forwards

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
ISTINTON1968
Flag: Great Britain

1985 JCB 3cx-4 Wont Go Forwards

Post #1 by ISTINTON1968 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi All,

We had someone in to remove some tree's and they gave our old 3CX i some stick after being told not to, though its always been a strong machine, then the day afterwards its stopped going forward, it goes into forward gear then moves forward inches at a time, it goes backwards fine. it has a cable operated shuttle box I've checked the following :-

Its a 1985 3CX-4 White around the roof, turbo diesel, 4 speed box with shuttle forwards and back.

1) Oil level in the box, run the engine for 5 minutes then dipped oil and its at the top of the level on the stick and the oil is clear and doesnt smell of clutch.
2) Checked operation of the lever on the side of the shuttle box by removing the cable and then moved into the forward position it hits the lock stop same problem.
3) checked there is .5mm gap on the clutch rod.

If anyone has any other idea's on what to check that would be great or my concilison is that it's the forward clutch pack, if it is does any contact details for a fitter in the midland who'd come out and change the forward clutch pack, its above what I fancy doing myself. I'm near bromsgrove.

Many Regards

Ian

essexpete

Re: 1985 JCB 3cx-4 Wont Go Forwards

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 pm

You could do with a transmission pressure test. It does sound like you may have either an internal oil leak in the clutch pack or worn clutch pack its self. The charge pump and convertor must be ok because you have reverse. The shuttle is a Borg Warner type. There are folk on her who have had them apart. I have not rebuilt one but have assisted twice. On the JCB the gear box and shuttle can come out from underneath. We found the best way was to jack up on the legs and place suitable length sleeper under the rear frame lower cross rail onto the jack foot on each side. Lower slightly to nip the wood in place. Then a question of prop removal and anything else connected to the shuttle/gearbox. We supported the shuttle on the bottom of it's sump pan with a trolly jack. Admittedly our indi mechanic had a cup made up just for that. The engine will also need support at the rear as the mounts are aft of the bell housing. The torque converter remains. Care needed lining up on reinstall.

Topic author
ISTINTON1968
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 1985 JCB 3cx-4 Wont Go Forwards

Post #3 by ISTINTON1968 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can do a pressure test I'll have to find my gauges, Ideally id like someone local to take on the job as I would think they will sort it in a day or two and it will take me a few weeks.

Ian

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”