JCB 3C MKIII /5 picts and questions

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Unknown1875
Flag: France

Re: JCB 3C MKIII /5 picts and questions

Post #41 by Unknown1875 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:18 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Keep plodding away at it Louis, one bit at a time you will soon wander where all the time has gone, you will accomplish lots but the machine won't look like you've touched it, bit like that with my Poclain. I am itching to get back up to work on my machines but having been laid off work for two months I guess I am going to be doing in door working instead.

Jeremy

Thank you Jeremy ahah I think I see what you mean. I've gone thru your Hymac and Poclain topics congrats ! I probably won't renovate the 3C as tidy as your machines. Sorry to hear that you won't be able to see your machines during that time.

@essexpete, no more powertrain at home ? Did you had any major problem with it ?

Thanks Hair bear for your reply, in my case I would use the main engine pump and the reservoir of the backhoe I just need to figure out what motor to use with it. I thought about something like this https://www.hydrokit.com/produit/moteur ... 32968.html and use a PTO linkage.

Louis

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #42 by Unknown1875 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:30 pm

Small question for you guys, the only preheat system appears to bit this small bit located in the intake manifold https://www.agripieces29.com/bougie-de- ... -1953.html. The engine start really well even when cold. Why car diesel engine don't use this system instead of the pre-heat plugs ?
Thanks

essexpete

Post #43 by essexpete » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:42 am

Unknown1875 wrote:
Jeremy Rowland wrote:Keep plodding away at it Louis, one bit at a time you will soon wander where all the time has gone, you will accomplish lots but the machine won't look like you've touched it, bit like that with my Poclain. I am itching to get back up to work on my machines but having been laid off work for two months I guess I am going to be doing in door working instead.

Jeremy

Thank you Jeremy ahah I think I see what you mean. I've gone thru your Hymac and Poclain topics congrats ! I probably won't renovate the 3C as tidy as your machines. Sorry to hear that you won't be able to see your machines during that time.

@essexpete, no more powertrain at home ? Did you had any major problem with it ?

Thanks Hair bear for your reply, in my case I would use the main engine pump and the reservoir of the backhoe I just need to figure out what motor to use with it. I thought about something like this https://www.hydrokit.com/produit/moteur ... 32968.html and use a PTO linkage.

Louis

I must have sold it some 15 years ago. Far too cheap as well! It did have a few problems over the years but it did a lot of work before and during our ownership. It was bought out of Cambs machinery sales with a tired shuttle so that was done soon after. We swapped long reach arms onto it from an earlier machine. It was used for loading straw in the field and did quite a lot of road work. We had the head gasket blow and it went again soon after. With the long arms and extender it was gutless on the road and that made it work. I found a brand new old stock turbo 4.98 and with the help of a very good mechanic we swapped that in. That transformed the machine. It absolutely could fly. The downside was we chewed the spiders in the diff. I think that was down to putting more power down. It would travel up slopes on the road in top and nearly 25mph on the flat. A bit hairy if it got bouncing. I had to repair the bottom of the cab. Usual rust. We had a crack in the hydra frame up near the front. Probably due to stress from the front axle. I had several attempts at welding before stopping the hydraulic fluid leak. Had a couple of hydra clamp bolts shear with almighty bangs, propably due to banging about of tramlines loading straw. Some how bent the boom ram quite early on. Sounds like a lot over the 13 or so years we owned it but mostly due to heavy use.
I bought a mini digger and a telehandler and the JCB then seemed redundant for most jobs.

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #44 by Unknown1875 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:04 am

Thank you for this nice report. It would have been quite a scary beast with that turbo !

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #45 by Unknown1875 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:17 pm

Hello everyone,
Today I finally finished putting back my dashboard.
Fuel gauge and temperature gauge are working like a charm.
The weather was kind and I hit the road !
Engine is running sweet, I have no thermostat and the temperature stabilize around 60-62°C.
I'm happy, just a strange noise/vibration coming from the rear right and changing with engine speed. Probably nothing to worry about.
https://youtu.be/EAcwOo5OBWM
I've managed to spot a leak from a pinched hose, i'm pretty sure those hoses are not supposed to be like that, they would rather have straight connectors.

yay !

Louis

essexpete

Post #46 by essexpete » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:50 pm

That vibration is annoying. I wondered if hydraulic at first but perhaps not. Could it be due to the non standard silencer? Have you got the proper box?

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #47 by Unknown1875 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:54 pm

Ahah I agree a bit annoying. II don't have the proper box it came like that. Straight manifold and this car silencer. The vibration is not constant but when happening it's directly related to the revs not the speed. Torque converter maybe, i'll check the level and inspect for any trace of water tomorrow. I will try without the silencer too.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #48 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:00 pm

Well done Louis :claphands: good to see your making progress. :thumbup:

Jeremy

MrF

Post #49 by MrF » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Going along fine there, two small comments, first if your in France, your local agri shop will probably make hoses up when you walk in once lockdown is over. There's one 10 minutes from my house in the middle of rural 36 that keeps imperial fittings in and makes the hoses up on the spot to suit, and if I travel a bit further, there's garage supply places that also can handle it. I just clean the blown hose and take it in with me, and they make a new one up on the spot while I wait.
Secondly, I own a old farm with a small amount of land, and while my 3c3 is a great tool, its easy to get it bogged down on soft ground and it makes a poor tractor for general stuff because of the 2wd and the weight. Yes you can always get unstuck if you have buckets but the resultant mess doesn't win me favours. My solution is I run a older tractor for tractor jobs as the one I have (Massey harris pony) is more agile and its so light I can get it easily unstuck when it gets bogged in. There's parts of my land that I can only venture the 3c into for a few months a year mid summer when they've firmed up enough. Small tractor with topper etc + jcb to put land drains in mid summer is a killer combo to have though.

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #50 by Unknown1875 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:55 pm

Hi everyone,
a bit of news here. My awaiting hose is currently stuck at a post center so I decided to visit my local hydraulic shop. The price was high (80€ for 2m) but I had it in 5 min. I received a new hydraulic filter and changed it. I found a good glass of water in the container, I'm glad I did it.

So now it's time to (learn how to) dig !!
I have to level and lower the ground and dig to install my sanitation.

All went well until my neighbors threaten me of calling the cops for the sunday afternoon noise :D
Today was a super rainy day I hope the ground won't be too soft tomorrow but I doubt it. Can't wait to continue.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”