JCB 3C MKIII /5 picts and questions

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

essexpete

Re: JCB 3C MKIII /5 picts and questions

Post #51 by essexpete » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:57 pm

I reckon when you have stood it for a while it may be worth carefully taking bung out of bottom of the hyd tank to see if there is any water in there?

Topic author
Unknown1875
Flag: France

Post #52 by Unknown1875 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 am

essexpete wrote:I reckon when you have stood it for a while it may be worth carefully taking bung out of bottom of the hyd tank to see if there is any water in there?

Yes definitely, you just have to gently unscrew the main big bolt a bit until liquid slowly coming out of the threads. In my case water. Then tighten it back when no more water was dripping.That way you will not waste any hydraulic fluid and the tank won't have to be removed.

I also noted that before changing the hyd filter, topping up oil was taking forever and the previous owner told me that I had to unscrew the big side bolt at the top to allow it to flow faster (the one retaining a spring).
In fact this was the sign that my filter was full of crap and I had to bypass the filter. Now I can top it up at good speed only by removing the top cap.
Louis

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #53 by Unknown1875 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi all,
I did continue digging. I'm starting to be more familiar with the controls and I realized it goes on much better with the large bucket (indeed ahah). Now it's all Verdun 1916 in my garden :roll:

I just have a small concern, my motor is dripping oil pretty badly, I've put him a diaper to limit the environmental disaster.
It seems to come from the front crankshaft seal and a small amount from the filler cap. Now I have a doubt that exhaust gases would pressurize the oil.
Any small test to confirm gases in the oil ? (I did smell but I 'm not convinced)
There's a vid of the oil cap, it 's filmed when it's hot. No fumes when cold. I guess it's normal then.
https://youtu.be/7wJcFcrYTvQ
I think my seal is just worn out, I've ordered a new one.

Edit : For those like me who were a bit lazy tightening the bolts after an hour, my advice : do it ^^ It was close to 180° degree lose !

Thanks
Louis

essexpete

Post #54 by essexpete » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:19 pm

Do the same when warmed up. It does not look too bad to me.

essexpete

Post #55 by essexpete » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Ps I looked at a Komatsu with a Perkins one day. Beaut of a digger but the 6cyl was knackered. I unscrewed the rocker filler cap whilst it was running and it blew clean out of my hand!

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #56 by Unknown1875 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:18 pm

Thanks, The video was taken when the engine was hot so I think pressure is normal after reading your story :) I guess I just have shitty seals. Today i fixed a bucket under it as a temporary fix. Not perfect but allowed me not to lost a work day.
My leveling is starting to take shape

MrF

Post #57 by MrF » Mon May 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Looking good, I put my fosse septique tank in with my 3ciii also :)
I think there is a mesh screen filter in the foot of the hydraulic tank also, the manual references a suction filter, and I have a memory of taking the bottom of the tank plate off and cleaning it out when I first got my machine.
I used a van exhaust silencer vertically similar to yours, but I finally welded a stub into the top of the centre chamber with some plates to support the weight to the sides like the original part, then blocked off the original inlet with a plate welded on. But it was a lot of work to save 90e for the real part.

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #58 by Unknown1875 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:06 pm

Hi, that is true there is a strainer at the bottom but I don't really want to drain all the tank maybe one day ahah.
I did not made any progress since the last message. I'm waiting for a 38mm socket in order to remove the front crankshaft bolt.
Is tightening the bolt with an impact wrench "good enough" or should I1 block the flywheel or something like that ?

In the mean time I scored this little baby with a plow, "rotavator" and a cutting bar for 900 quids, I just have to change the clutch plate and it should be ready to work !
It's a Motostandard Gutbrod 1032 year unknown.

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #59 by Unknown1875 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi, today I managed to replace the crankshaft front seal.
To do that I had to first grind the 38mm socket. I smoked my grinding wheel ... I need a lathe ^^

Do you know if it looks like the original one ?

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #60 by Unknown1875 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi everyone,
Yesterday I realized I had a blow by problem. Lots of oil leaking by the rocker cover vent.
The problem was simply a wrong dipstick ! I think I had 25 Liters instead of ~10 :roll:
I found the original dipstick laying in the cab with the cap missing.
I repaired it but can anyone confirm the length ?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”