JCB 3C MKIII /5 picts and questions

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Unknown1875
Flag: France

Re: JCB 3C MKIII /5 picts and questions

Post #21 by Unknown1875 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:38 am

Hi, thank you all for the replies! it helps a lot moving forward !
Jeremy, so far I haven't spotted a clear fault in the gasket, would it be possible to have oil in water by capilarity ?
Essexpete and Fred : Tank you for these precisions that makes sense. I will sure dig more the hydraulic plumbing and motors.
The more I work on my JCB the more I found it great :) Hydraulic + diesel engine really help us out with hard work that previously killed our back.
Well Fred that is bit worrying, I'll definitely check height tomorrow. Thanks for the tip of the hacksaw !
More updates to come tomorrow if the weather is kind.
Louis

Jeremy Rowland

Post #22 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:41 am

Thanks Fred :thumbup: having never worked on these engines I did not know if they were wet or dry liners; do the liners simple knock out like on a Cummins NH/NT engine? Louis I suspect that what Fred has told you is more likely the issue so check out what Fred has said first and let us all know how you get on. :thumbup: Don't forget to remove any carbon build up on the top of the liners before checking the height!

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #23 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:40 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Thanks Fred :thumbup: having never worked on these engines I did not know if they were wet or dry liners; do the liners simple knock out like on a Cummins NH/NT engine? Louis I suspect that what Fred has told you is more likely the issue so check out what Fred has said first and let us all know how you get on. :thumbup: Don't forget to remove any carbon build up on the top of the liners before checking the height!

Jeremy

Yes Jeremy they are wet liners, not too difficult to pull.
What I should also have said was that the liners have a "firewall " at the top which stands well above the block face to protect the gasket edge from the heat of combustion..
The standing height is not measured from there but from the shoulder below it on which the head gasket actually sits.
Fred

FOWLER MAN

Post #24 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:58 am

Hello again,
Found this if it helps.
The liners will knock out without the need of the puller.
Fred

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #25 by Unknown1875 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:24 pm

Good day everyone.
I 've cleaned the block and the head. I had a 0,05 mm ~= 0.002 inch gauge correctly passing with all four cylinders but not the 0.1mm ~= 0.004 I don't have any intermediate gauge !
Vlaves seems seating right so I wont touch them.
I think I'll mount back the head.
Since It don't seems to have a compression loss neither lots of oil in water (maybe the goo was old goo after all ?) It's not so risky isn't it ?

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #26 by Unknown1875 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:32 pm

Small question, how the standing height could be changing over the years ?

Or maybe I should change the shims? What do you think? Is this a lot of effort ?

Thanks
Louis

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #27 by agrimax » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:20 pm

The standing height is more of an issue after fitting new liners as small imperfections can occur between liner manufacturers. Don't think you need to be concerned in this case. It would mean sump off,pistons out and liners out to replace the shims and new o rings on reassembly.
One other thing though....just to annoy you.....when the head and block are properly cleaned,you shouldn't be able to see the gasket inprint on the surfaces.Photos can be deceiving and perhaps if you run a fingernail across the surfaces,they are indeed smooth.
I sometimes run a DA or orbital sander and very fine emery on the surfaces with light pressure and it leaves a good job.Best to plug the oilways and pushrod openings on the block with rags first though.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #28 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:58 pm

Yes like Agrimax says there should be no trace of the old gasket; I always used emery cloth to clean all the muck off and as stated plug everything off with rag to stop any grit or muck getting where it would cause future issues. :thumbup:

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN

Post #29 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Unknown1875 wrote:Small question, how the standing height could be changing over the years ?

Or maybe I should change the shims? What do you think? Is this a lot of effort ?

Thanks
Louis

I don't have an answer to your first question, but it can and does happen I can assure you.
Don't disturb anything unless there is an obvious problem. Looking at the photos it all seems pretty good.
Good luck.

Fred

Topic author
Unknown1875

Post #30 by Unknown1875 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Ahah thank you for the feedback on my cleaning. I did it with a " stove glass cleaner", kind of a razor blade on a handle. It looks dirty but you can't feel it with your nail. I 'll get a try with the orbital tomorrow ;)
Fred Thank you this does help me a lot making a decision.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”