JCB 3 c

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 3 c

Post #1 by Matchless?58 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:35 pm

Hi all
Just recently I have been searching for a machine to use on my self build and after to do a few bits and pieces around my smallholding . I was searching for a ford 550 or a Massey 50b but I realize now that most of them are beyond my limited budget .
Just by chance I heard of a JCB 3c for sale for reasonable money .
I went to view it and now I have a few questions as I know very little about JCB s.
Machine was not in too bad condition re rust etc .
The machine did not have the front bucket fitted and only one of the front rams was moving in and out . Is this a hard job to repair ? Ram seal ? Maybe ?
The seller said the machine hadn't been started for 6 months as a hose had blown and he lost a lot of oil . He had only just replaced the hose the day before I viewed the machine . The backhoe and loader were taking time to respond and moving slowly also the pump seemed to be making a lot of noise . Would this be a result of not enough oil ?
The cab was homemade by a previous owner ( nice job actually ) and was Perspex covered which was difficult to see through . Can laminated glass be obtained ?
Have to say the engine fired straight up with very little smoke and settled down to a nice tickover . I think it is the same unit as my Nuffield 4/65 tractor . Is that right ?
Think the seller wants roughly 1000 for it . Sounds a good price but first thing would be to replace the complete hydraulic oil and filter which would cost about 450 . Is that right ?
Anyway enough for now hope you can help .
Regards Chris

Tillywolves

Re: JCB 3 c

Post #2 by Tillywolves » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:20 pm

450 for oil and filter... no, far too much.

New filters are around 36 each. Then you will need around 100 litres of hydraulic oil. 25 litres of oil is about £58 for a 25 litre drum, from TFM.

1000 quid isnt a bad price, I paid 700 for mine and it needs work.

RAM, well Id swap ofer the oil pipes between the two rams, and see if the fault follows. That way you will know if its the ram, or the valves that need attention.

Tillywolves

Post #3 by Tillywolves » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Symptoms of not enough oil usually start with the steering going notchy... Lets be honest, its a pretty simple machine, but its big, over 45 years old, and you need a new set of imperial tools to work on it.. They generally dont rust, as the 3C drips so much oil its self lubricating...

If the front bucket is missing, offer 700-800 quid. These buckets are on Ebay from time to time..

Also consider what state the hoses are. Not expensive to buy if you go and get them made up.

BUCKET >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCB-3C-Fixed-Front-Bucket-Only/333459428706?hash=item4da3bb1562:g:ZqIAAOSwU4heCfNy
FILTER >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCB-Hydraulic-Filter-3C-MKII-MKIII-3D-806C-807C-Replaces-JCB-581-01801/151301912111?hash=item233a4bf62f:g:0EkAAOSwvflZVlpO
OIL >> https://www.tfmsuperstore.co.uk/products/liquimatic-no-4-iso-32-25-litre/
HOSES >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292031798677?_trksid=p2505460.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI292031798677.N36.S1.typeWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON.R1.TR3
SEALS >> http://www.claron.co.uk/seals/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5666_5774_6201&zenid=pcud13hqf32reh7babr7jvppu4

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #4 by Matchless?58 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:01 am

Hi
Thank you for your reply . All advice gratefully received . I already have a set of imperial spanners and sockets due to my involvement with British bikes ( bet my ajs leaks worse than a 3c ) .
Since I last posted the seller is now saying he wants to negotiate the price , in an upward direction so I think I will have to walk away from that one . Disappointing though .
Transport costs can be pretty high for these machines so he has probably done me a favour and the search will continue a bit more local . At least this has made me do a bit of research via this forum and your advice re the cost of oil change is a bit more reassuring .
I did read somewhere that they hold 165 litres of oil . Is that correct or am I going daft ?
Cheers Chris

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #5 by Matchless?58 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:03 am

Oh and thank you for all the links . At least I now know where to buy bits .
I'll let you know how the search goes .

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:07 pm

The crowd rams will tend not to move together if operated without an attachment. If you run one out all the way the other should then move. Don't let the rods drag on the arm end or they might score. Could make a huge difference with new oil and filter. You don't get much for £1k. You would probably get most of your money back as a breaker.

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #7 by Matchless?58 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks for all the good advice and helpful tips , really handy knowing what to look out for when inspecting a machine .
I passed by a yard local to me and noticed a 3c bucket sticking up above the hedge .
It's a bit cheeky but I went straight in knocked on the door and asked the owner if he was interested in selling . He wouldn't give me a direct answer but said come and have a look which I did , turned out to be a really tidy straight 3c in good working order . This machine had the 3.8 BMC engine in it which ran well . I had a good look at the machine then he told me he didn't really want to sell it ! I thanked him politely for his time but I was a little bit miffed that he had bothered to show me the machine then didn't want to sell . Before I left I did point out that by leaving the bucket in the air above the hedge he was advertising to every thief in the neighborhood that the machine was there . Drove past next day , bucket still in the air ! Oh well I guess you can't win them all . I might have a lead on another one not so local though .
Cheers Chris

Tillywolves

Post #8 by Tillywolves » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:09 pm

We do love to show our machines to anyone that will listen... what part of the country do you come from ?

For transport, find a local farmer with a big trailer. They do love cash. Cost me £80 to get mine trailered, about 10 miles.

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #9 by Matchless?58 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:42 pm

Essex . Don't seem to be as many old jcbs about in this neck of the woods not since I've been searching anyway ! The search continues . Cheers Chris

topkit

Post #10 by topkit » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:06 pm

How much are you looking to spend on a digger then, i have come across a few 3c mk2 recently,

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”