Ford 550

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

Ford 550

Post #1 by Matchless?58 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:17 am

Hi all
I am considering the purchase of a ford 550 . Seems to be in reasonable condition . Anything I need to be particularly aware of when inspecting prior to purchase ?
I am fully aware that they are not considered to be a patch on the 3cx but I only want it for light duty around my smallholding . Clearing scrub bit of ditching etc .
Anyone on the site who will admit to owning one ? Any honest opinion welcome .
Cheers Chris

diggerjones

Re: Ford 550

Post #2 by diggerjones » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:12 am

I know nothing about them. But the basics would be. Engine, transmission, slop in the pins, iooseing oil etc. Good look. Any pictures

kaos
Flag: Iceland

Post #3 by kaos » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:49 am

I have what I believe to be a 3550 (all markings, including nameplate are gone). As I understand it, the 3550 is the predecessor of the 550, which in turn was replaced with the 555. Based on my experience, I would consider the following:
Transmission: Does it have a shuttle transmission? If so, check that it changes smoothly between forward and back, and pulls strongly in both directions.
Steering: Can you turn the wheel freely in both directions with the machine stationary and front loader lifted? Does it have hydrostatic steering? If so, does it "creep" noticeably (that is, with the steering wheel stationary, do the front wheels turn bit by bit)?
Backhoe controls: Our machine has the old fashioned four lever controls (one for each movement). This doesn't really bother me, but I believe it could be very irritating for someone who has learned to operate the ISO or JCB two lever controls. In either case, check the levers for excessive slop.
Fluids: Check condition and level of all fluids. If the machine has been standing for a while, it might be wise to loosen up on drain plugs and see if any water comes out. The main gearbox also serves as the reservoir for the shuttle transmission and converter, and should take UTTO (Universal Tractor Transmission Oil), *NOT* ATF. UTTO is usually uncoloured, while ATF is usually red. The rear axle is a separate reservoir, and can, I believe, use either UTTO or plain gear oil.

--
Best of luck,
Kári.

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:35 pm

The old Ford engines could be prone to the blocks going porous particularly if coolant not changed regularly.
Front axles were not as robust as a JCB (from what I can gather) I have a feeling (I have never operated one) that the Ford would be a lot more nimble than a 3C.
I wonder what spares are like? The tractor element should be OK.

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #5 by Matchless?58 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi all
Thank you for your replies . If anyone wants to see photo of machine it's on eBay atm . Good ol'eBay hmmmmm.
I know nothing about these Ford's but understand the general opinion is that the JCB is a better machine with a bit more power however the job I want it for it will be more than adequate don't really want to destroy my mini digger .
My theory is that JCB is much more of a contractors machine subsequently suffering a lot of abuse . While the ford is more of a farmer's machine and hopefully might have been a bit more looked after . That's the theory anyway lol . I'm just remembering we used to operate 3cxs in shell haven oil refinery and knock ten bells out of them !
I going to ring the seller and ask a few details based on the info I've now got . Always good to have a few questions at least I can sound like I know what I am on about !
Any more info gratefully received and still no one has admitted to owning one .
Let you all know how it goes .
Cheers Chris

Topic author
Matchless?58

Post #6 by Matchless?58 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Damn missed it . Machine sold an hour ago . That's what you get for dithering . Still looking on the bright side I might have saved myself a whole lot of grief not to mention the ££££ s .
Anyway still on the lookout for a decent ford 550 reasonably local to Essex so if anyone can give any leads I would be grateful .
Cheers Chris

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”