JCB 3CII Kingpost issues

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
MarkHez
Flag: Ireland

JCB 3CII Kingpost issues

Post #1 by MarkHez » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:51 pm

Forgive me in advance for any incorrect terms, I'm new to the job, but will try and explain what I'm on about!

I've just acquired a 3CII, 4/98 engine, 10 speed box, first drive of it on Saturday afternoon, I found the hydraulic oil was low and then a loader pipe burst, which brought the oil level low enough to stop the steering. The only place I could ditch it out of the way of a working yard was a very very boggy bit of grass which I knew it would sink into, but that's the way things go and it was the only option till I could get a pipe made and a few drums of oil on Monday.

Stuck 10gallon of oil in Monday and the new pipe, brilliant, hydraulics great, on to trying to get it unstuck - seemingly in getting it unstuck I've snapped the kingpin.

Now to explain my understanding of it, the "kingpin" is the piece of pipe up the middle of the "knuckle" and rests in the "Kingpost" top and bottom. That may be wrong terminology, but it's how I'll describe my prospective bodge:

If I were to drill a large (1" or 1.5") hole through the knuckle and the kingpin below the point where it has sheered, then either shoved a large pin through, or tapped for a bolt in either side, would this get me going again, as long as I treated it knowing that that's all that's holding it together? (And not try and dancing digger type manoeuvres to get unstuck again) it should never see any hard work in my use, but in my head the bodge makes sense until I can afford a new full Kingpost and knuckle!

Thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers

(My differentiation of kingpin and Kingpost is the bit I reckon is cocked up, if it doesn't make sense, read it again as drilling through the knuckle into the Kingpost and shoving a pin through the whole lot)

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3CII Kingpost issues

Post #2 by topkit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:27 pm

If I am correct I think you can get a replacement pin for the king post. I would have a look on "done deal" which has machinery
For sale and several machinery breakers advertising in it over in Ireland. I would think it's a similar job to doing the kingpost on a 3cx where you prop the backhoe up on pallets detach the arm from the king post drive the machine forwards then do your repair and then put it all back together again.

topkit

Post #3 by topkit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:52 pm

Just came across this being sold on EBay item no 223670360138 he has several pieces for the back end for sale I am pretty sure mk2 and mk3 king posts are the same. Another contact you could try is Simon Vicary he breaks jobs.

agrimax

Post #4 by agrimax » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:44 am

I'm guessing you've sheared the splined shaft (pinion)that protrudes up out of the slew box. The kingpost then meshes down onto the splines. You'd be wasting your time trying to drill it as a,it's unlikely you'd be able to as it's hard stuff in there and a pin or bolt won't be strong enough anyway and b,it'll be sheared off below where the post slides onto the splines.
Mk2 and 3 king posts aren't the same but the complete Mk3 assembly could be used on a Mk2.

Topic author
MarkHez
Flag: Ireland

Post #5 by MarkHez » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:04 am

Cheers gents, can see the bottom section of Kingpost rotating independently to the top part hence my idea of pinning it.

If I were to buy the post and the slewing gear from here:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3670350384

And

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3670360138

Would the Kingpost slide into the top bearer of my MK2? Or is it a different diameter completely?

Cheers
Mark

agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:22 am

I put a Mk2 post in a Mk3 years ago.Don't recall any differences at the top end. There's a difference at the bottom end but if you're going to change the slew box as well it won't matter. The MK 3 post won't fit on the Mk2 slew box.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”