3cx Glass Replacement bonding in

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Land Rover

3cx Glass Replacement bonding in

Post #1 by Land Rover » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Been thinking of removing the opening back windows from my grey cab 3cx and just bonding glass windows to the cab frame .
The window frames are rotten along the entire bottom edge and one of the windows is cracked anyway .
Assuming the one intact window wouldn't be big enough ( to fit the new gap ) I am thinking about making a template from plywood , getting a new window cut in 1/4 inch laminated glass and then bonding the window in .
Mt questions are :
Is 1/4" thick enough
Anyone else done this before ? If so how did you clamp it till the glue went off .

I did think of Perspex , but it is relatively expensive compared to glass ... not that I'm tight :D

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 3cx Glass Replacement bonding in

Post #2 by topkit » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:35 am

Forget thinking about Perspex, over a period of time it will go foggy and get very brittle, My last 3cx grey cab had a perpex rear wingow along with one of therear 1/4 glass secions i just pulled them out and fitted new glass. I had a project 6 that had fixed rear windows i guess that the previous ower had just done away with the opening frames and fitted a larger piece of glass it worked fine.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:13 am

Polycarbonate sheets better than the old brittle perspex but still scratch. Had success with a windcreen on an old Sambron J24 by fitting a rubber edge on some pre cut lam glass and the fitting with some stainless tabs and screws into the frame. Much easier to bond now with all the materials available.

Topic author
Land Rover

Post #4 by Land Rover » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks Essexpete and topkit .
I think I can get the glass cut no bother locally so I'll steam on with the window removal .
It will certainly tidy the cab up a bit :shock:
Thanks

Topic author
Land Rover

Post #5 by Land Rover » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:34 pm

An update on this , just got it done last week .
I went to the local cheap as chips glaziers and they wanted 260 quid for both back windows , 1/4 inch laminated glass , nothing fancy .
I had expected about 100 quid all in so was a bit gutted .
Plantglazing Ltd had a guy local to me who came up in a van and cut both windows to size on site for 180 quid . He also primed the glass and gave me some tips on doing the job - which was appreciated :claphands:
When I saw Plantglazing Ltd's advert it said Perth , but they actually have guys all over Scotland - their local guy is about 5 miles away .
Anyway , job done and it looks a lot cleaner and tidier .

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”