1987 JCB 3CX 1550B Please help ID items in cab photos

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Daver
Flag: United States of America

1987 JCB 3CX 1550B Please help ID items in cab photos

Post #1 by Daver » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:30 am

Hello JCB Noob here,
I am trying to identify the handles, buttons, and levers found in the photos of the cab of my 1987 1550B (3CX, I think). Example, are both of these parking brakes? Please help if you can.
Also, I have a question/concern about starting the engine. How long should the key be left on to warm before starting? I keep getting white smoke from under the hood and out the stack before the engine even starts. Once it starts it runs beautifully. Seems like I am doing something wrong. First experience with diesel.

Thank you for any help.

There appears to be two parking brakes, one with a fill reservior in the toolbox?

super6954
Flag: Canada

Re: 1987 JCB 3CX 1550B Please help ID items in cab photos

Post #2 by super6954 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi
The lever by the seat is the park brake, the HYd one in the end of the toolbox should work the transport /safety lock for the rear boom. it may be that the lock is missing or messed up, and it won't work anyway, with lots of the 3cx's I 've seen over the years one of those problems was common.

If that machine heat starts the same as my older 3c you should hold the key round to the zone where where you feel spring pressure, just before the starter turns for about 30 seconds or so, to activate the heat plug, it's not automatic cycling like a ford 7.3 diesel truck when you turn the ignition on. It may be the switch/ heat plug is messed up, or wiring's not connected so it's not providing power, or it may not even have a plug for warm climate USA if JCB didn't fit them to save money.

If you are working the switch right, go check on the air intake manifold on the motor, There should be a plug in there with 1 electrical terminal and heavy wire on to provide 12 v when the switch is used. It should also have a fuel line attached to the center of it, that runs back to a filter or source of diesel fuel to give you a good fire in the intake. mine's not working but the line runs into the top of the fuel filter. Hopefully that might help you some if it's not working you got to diagnose why starting with the power source. Regards Robert

Topic author
Daver

Post #3 by Daver » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Thank you for the information, Robert.

I guess I won't worry about the brake setup in the toolbox. I think the fuel/heat system is working correctly, I just didn't know how to use it. I will try your instructions for starting.

Thanks again for your help.

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by topkit » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:54 pm

The servo pot to the side if the handbrake is fir the transport locking bracket on your backhoe / kingpost. You brake servos are behind the dashboard binnacle there is normally a cover that you remove and then you will see two brake servo pots, Do not top any of the pots up with brake fluid you must use a light grade hydraulic oil, if you use brake fluid you will damage the seals. If your brakes are poor you could try changing the back axle oil as the brakes are in the back axle, After you have changed the oil you could try bleeding the brakes, on the top of each side of the rear axle you will find a bleed nipple which you can crack open and get someone to push one of the brake padals (obviously you will press the left pedal with the left hand side brake nipple open then the right hand side with the right brake nipple open, then i did both pedals together with both bleed nipples open, my brakes were transformed after doing this. if you look in the download section on here you will find a 3CX manual which should help you as alot of the info will be the same on your centremont machine.

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:58 pm

You would get an idea if the heater in the manifold is working by watching the warning lights on the dash (if they work). The heater has a large draw of current which make make the warning lights dip a little. As an aside be aware those heater units can be problem if damaged and they do not seal properly allowing neat diesel to run into the manifold.

Topic author
Daver

Post #6 by Daver » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:26 am

Thank you essexpete and topkit. I appreciate your help.

I figured I'd start with basics and get my Bostrom seat to swivel correctly. It was bound up very tight to being completely non-adjustable. Dismantled it, and hoping to get it back together tomorrow.

topkit- Is the system you described what I have seen referred to as "wet" brakes? The pedal has felt a little spongy, might be worth bleeding. Thanks for the warning about the fluid.

Below is a photo of my backhoe bucket. Do you know of a source or part number for the covers that go on the teeth, as I am missing two of them.

Thanks again.

Dave

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by topkit » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 pm

The brakes are a kind of wet brake they are inboard oil imersed, As part of servicing it i would change the rear ale oil and then bleed through the brakes, If the brake pedal is not smooth in operation when you press it or it makes a bit of noise when you push the pedal it could be your pedal master cylinders, i recently changed some on a 1994 3cx and it transformed the machine you could stop the digger just like you stop a car on the spot.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”