MASSEY MF40 loader/backhoe clutch issues

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Cheekymonkey
Flag: Great Britain

MASSEY MF40 loader/backhoe clutch issues

Post #1 by Cheekymonkey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi guys, my MF40 seems to have some cluth issues. Any advice appreciated. Basically it's not disengaging transmission and so it will grind the gear & then jump in (somewhat dangerous) it's been a bit crunchy the last couple of uses but this time i've gone to use it and it's a no-go.

i've found the old manual & it mentions adjustment in the pedal to reduce travel (there's loads of travel currently) so I thought I might try & get the bolts undone to try that unless someone can sugegst anything else to check first.

I'm assuming the diff lock & pto levers etc are all unrelated (diff lock doesnt seem to budge anyway) and i assumed it didnt have pto drive alough the groud/engine lever is present & does move/enguage gear it seems.

Hopeful for some advice as can't imagine it's cost effective to replace a clutch if that is what's gone.

thanks Pete

essexpete

Re: MASSEY MF40 loader/backhoe clutch issues

Post #2 by essexpete » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 pm

You could try to adjust the free travel of the pedal, always leaving a little bit of free pedal. I am not familiar with that clutch but it could be the release mechanism on the clutch cover has worn /broken. Does the pedal cause a noise when depressed? The problem with manual transmission on loaders/diggers is the clutch gets a lot of abuse, particularly if loading in high range.
I guess if you have to split that will be a PITA with the loader on the front?
It may well have a full PTO with a dual clutch fitted (you might find a locking or stop tab down on the foot plate (close to the pedal) which could be flipped to allow full travel to the second section which controls the PTO. In fact if that is fitted you could see if the lock is in place because you change it over to see if there is any difference ion the main clutch.
The diff lock would not have any bearing. you would know if that was jammed on as it would be a pig to steer.

hair bear

Post #3 by hair bear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:15 am

As standard the 40 had the dual plate clutch the same as the ag version. I don't recall a locking mechanism. It was possible, and I'm sure many did, to replace it with a single plate and dispense with the pto drive. When set correctly, the dual plate clutches on those had the bite point almost at the top of travel. It wasn't unusual to see a novice waiting for it to bite, think it's not in gear, then take their foot off the pedal and lurch off across the field! From what I remember you could adjust the pedal on the yolk shaft by loosening the clamp holding the pedal and putting a long tapered punch in a hole in the shaft for this purpose so you can move the pedal against the shaft. I wonder if the pedal is loose and turning on the shaft resulting in the rapid deterioration of the action?
To change the clutch you really need a track, but in simple terms lift the loader as high as it will go. There should be frames on the loader rams to hold it in place. The entire front loader arrangement is mounted on a massive frame that runs through to the backactor frame as one piece so support the main cross member on blocks, remove the nose cone and the engine/front axle assembly comes out the front much like any other tractor. You don't have to/can't remove the loader. No it isn't that simple but that is the basic idea. From what I remember you will need a 1/2" socket extension about 2' long to get one of the starter bolts! Also, you will need a double stepped mandrel to get both plates lined up and a lot of patience to get the splines engaged.
Hope that helps.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
Cheekymonkey

Post #4 by Cheekymonkey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks for the input so far.

Went to adjust pedal last night but needed another pair of hands to complete it. It wasn't loose but wonder if it had slipped. There was no noises when depressing before and bite was right at the top which from the manual suggests a dual clutch?

I assume it's a mechanical clutch arrangement not hydraulic or anything else so guess if adjusting travel doesn't work something else has siezed/broken/worn.

Regards pto lever markings are gone but has 3 positions. I would guess middle is where I want to be? Not seen any kind of lock control or anything else.

Horrible weather today but will have another go ad pedal adjustment later if dries up. Will get the wife involved for the spare hands which she'll love :)
Last edited by Cheekymonkey on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hair bear

Post #5 by hair bear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Wide? that's a risky comment!
Yes, a mechanical clutch. The pto lever has Ground Speed, Neutral, and 540 positions. In your current application it isn't used so position is irrelevant. Probably best left in neutral (centre) position. If you were to decide to drop the backactor off (it is possible, but never tried it!), then you have got the ability to use the ag 3 point links and pto for a trailer or topper ect.

Topic author
Cheekymonkey

Post #6 by Cheekymonkey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:18 pm

hair bear wrote:Wide? that's a risky comment!

Haha crikey autocorrect nearly shafted me there :) ... fixed now

Thanks for other comments.

hair bear

Post #7 by hair bear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm

First use for newly acquired MF40: Digging footings for new doghouse in which husband is to be housed.

Topic author
Cheekymonkey

Post #8 by Cheekymonkey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:29 pm

:lol:

hair bear

Post #9 by hair bear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:45 pm

So getting back on topic...
I believe the diff lock has a big hand lever as well as the pedal, that could be seized jamming the pedal or vice versa.
On the rhs of the gearbox there is a response speed selector. This, and the levers marked position and draft are part of the 3 point link system and again are irrelevant.

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:40 pm

The MF that I drove as an ag student was a great little machine. It was a torque con model which was incredibly quick with very powerful/fast hydraulic for the size. That had a 3 point fitted (but not the lower links), diif lock was hand lever because the right foot was needed for the directional pedal. It also had a never used PTO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”