1988 JCB 3xc 4WD Grey Cab

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
NorthStar
Flag: Great Britain

1988 JCB 3xc 4WD Grey Cab

Post #1 by NorthStar » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi there Iv just bought my very first JCB 3cx 1988 non turbo. Im new to here so just saying hello and any advice on my new JCB would be nice.
Everything on her still works good like the lights, wipes, horn, heaters all glass is there some rust round the door and window frames but will remove glass and restore.
Back actor is sound with very little play as to the front loader but will also try to replace the bushings asap.
Engine starts first time with no smoke and runs smooth.
My only concern is the fact she's not a turbo? one less thing to go wrong but!!! also concerned a little in the gear shift as it seams its not quiet smooth in finding a gear but all there.
Also the clutch peddle?? is this normal to be so soft? not really used to this transmission.

thanks for looking my post :D

Jeremy Rowland

Re: 1988 JCB 3xc 4WD Grey Cab

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi Gethin and welcome to CMN :wave: that looks a nice straight machine from the photo :thumbup: there are plenty of JCB experts on here who should be able to offer you some advice.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:05 am

I have not used that model in anger but you have an electric shuttle so the pedal will be an electric dump pedal not a clutch pedal. You can use it to dump the transmission when shifting the manual gears on the move or when pausing forward movement when loading. you do not use it for shuttling. My advice to you would be when loading or similar to switch shuttle to neutral and stop before selecting the opposite direction. Also do not select direction or release the dump pedal under high revs to avoid harsh changes or engagement.

Topic author
NorthStar

Post #4 by NorthStar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi all thanks Jeremy for your welcome and thanks Essexpete for that advise that makes the clutch issue more clearly for me.

topkit

Post #5 by topkit » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, i recognise that digger, i went up country to look at it 3 weeks ago, when it first came up for sale, it is a tidy digger, i piece of boxsection will soon sort the door bottoms out. I ended up buying another very late 88 machine which was on my doorstep the chap had owned my one since it was a year old, i will post some before and after
pictures soon. I cant remember if your one has the transmission dump button in the front loader rais and lower lever, my one has this and its very useful when loading, the only time that i use the clutch transmission dump pedal is when i select a gear, otherwise i just use the shuttle forwards and backwards like essexpete says i am always gentle with the shuttle i never slam it from forward into reverse while moving i always stop the machine first.

There are plenty of posts on here for servicing these machines, One thing to note is the brake fluid resevoir which is behind the dash clocks if you need to top it up use a light grade mineral hydraulic oil do not use brake fluid as it will damage the seals. :D

Topic author
NorthStar

Post #6 by NorthStar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi topkit thanks for info

Yes this is a nice machine and hopefully with some love and care will restore to even better condition, with the help from this forum.

yes there is a dump load on the loader controls.

Good advice on the brake fluid thanks

Land Rover

Post #7 by Land Rover » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:31 am

I have the same model .
Looks very tidy .
I see there are brackets holding the exhaust which I haven't seen before , not a bad idea . An exhaust flap might be an idea ?.
The gear lever on mine is like stirring porridge , I just make sure I get 2nd and not 4th as the box starts to cook in 4th if you are faffing about .
I just throw mine from fwd to rev on the shuttle with the engine at idle . The manual states it can be done on the move at low speed in the first two gears .
Obviously mechanical sympathy etc , but these machines were hammered and built to last .

Topic author
NorthStar

Post #8 by NorthStar » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 am

Yes the exhaust flap is defonetly on the list.
And the way you describe the gear shift is exactly the same as my machine.
What gear do you normally use most when working :insomnia: or what’s the best you think :thumbup:

topkit

Post #9 by topkit » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:52 pm

The gearstick is the same on mine too and it was on my old 2wd 3cx that i had a few years ago, i use mine aounfpd our place in 1st and mainly 2nd gear, i spead a load of road plannings today as the rain has made the place like a bog. Exhaust flap is going on mine next week, i also teated mine to a pressure clean this afternoon as it was green with algie so no its yellow again, i even did inside the cab which came up well as soon as spring hits us and it warms up i will be respraying as per the norm when i get a digger.

Land Rover

Post #10 by Land Rover » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:23 am

NorthStar wrote:Yes the exhaust flap is defonetly on the list.
And the way you describe the gear shift is exactly the same as my machine.
What gear do you normally use most when working :insomnia: or what’s the best you think :thumbup:

The exhaust flap helped mine from spewing water out when I start it after it's been lying for 3 or 4 weeks outside . The exhaust stack is stainless and takes a bit of a shine , obviously it doesn't stay shiny for too long .

I usually use second for everything apart from going down the road .
Sounds like you have a good machine if everything is pretty tight .

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”