Hiss Bang!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Mikerb
Flag: Great Britain

Hiss Bang!

Post #1 by Mikerb » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:38 pm

JCB 3CX black cab 1987

Was working her hard today then the engine started making a clacking noise, then smoke out of the breather, switched her off and a big hiss and bang out of the breather.

Checked water, couldn't see the level, filled with water, lots of boiling and gargling and water pissing out the side of engine. There is a hole in one of the side plugs (is it a welch plug?) see pictures.

Picture of general area. I've taken off the alternator bracket, the hole is behind it.
20170825_144343.jpg

The little black hole.
20170825_144320.jpg

What is it?
Is this a replaceable part?
How do you replace it?

I think this has popped, let out the water and boiled the engine. Looks like ANOTHER rebuild!!

The engine block is red; there is a big discussion about it why, here - JCB 3CX engine?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jcb4cx

Re: Hiss Bang!

Post #2 by jcb4cx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:35 pm

yes its just a core plug , dig it out and tap a replacement in and give it a try , i think it may require more though :doh:
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
Mikerb

Post #3 by Mikerb » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 pm

I can't find anything relating to a core plug. Is there another name for it?

It was breathing heavily again, does this mean it's a piston ring job? or would a blown head gasket cause this?

jcb4cx

Post #4 by jcb4cx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:58 pm

https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-4 ... -plug-set/

might be as easy to find a second hand lump
every village has one , is yours missing you

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 pm

I concur with what Graham suggests; core plugs are cheap though so fit one try it and hope for the best, I would suggest fitting it with a Loctite sealer such as bearing fit. To fit the core plug first clean the hole where the old one popped then apply the sealer and tap it home, I would let the sealer 'go off' before putting coolant back in.

Jeremy

Topic author
Mikerb

Post #6 by Mikerb » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 pm

Cheers for the help, I've ordered a plug.

So what would be the clacking noise, and the smoke from the breather.

Looking at the bores closer, two of them look scored quite badly, I can feel them with my finger.

Also from the last rebuild I did, because of the different block (a 4.212 we think) and the rest being a 4.236, Vicory plant supplied 212 liners and 236 pistons, the pistons have a few mm of room around them in the liners, although strange I assumed this to be normal, but surely they should fit snug with no clearance. I can move the piston side to side in the liner by a few mm.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:52 am

Mikerb wrote:Cheers for the help, I've ordered a plug.

So what would be the clacking noise, and the smoke from the breather.

Looking at the bores closer, two of them look scored quite badly, I can feel them with my finger.

Also from the last rebuild I did, because of the different block (a 4.212 we think) and the rest being a 4.236, Vicory plant supplied 212 liners and 236 pistons, the pistons have a few mm of room around them in the liners, although strange I assumed this to be normal, but surely they should fit snug with no clearance. I can move the piston side to side in the liner by a few mm.

Mike I am sorry to say that if the bores are scored then it does sound like you've 'cooked the motor' the noise would be the piston slap and them partially seizing in the bores causing the damage to the bores and pistons, it also does sound like you may have the incorrect pistons fitted without actually seeing I them I would not be able to hazard a guess, perhaps as Graham suggests a good second hand lump may be the order of the day.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #9 by Mrsmackpaul » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:35 pm

Yes I gotta agree with everything said above and the motor or head is no doubt stuffed now if you pored cold water into a hot motor the head is no doubt cracked as well
push a new welsh plug in and give it a try but odds are you arent gunna do any good sorry to say

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”