New to me 1980? JCB 3C III

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
06DIESEL
Flag: United States of America

New to me 1980? JCB 3C III

Post #1 by 06DIESEL » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Hey guys seems as though this website is the place to go to find information about a JCB 3C III. I just bought this machine last night, runs and booms/buckets/ etc all work but it will not move under it's own power. Previous owner showed me the gears and pins from the rear end and the pins were bent and sheered off (might have been cut off to get out). I bought it right (about scrap price), and hope that the problems are not more than those gears and pins, which is something that I am sure that I can take on. I am going to need a owners manual or shop manual for it, I see that Ebay has a few but I need to find out what year my machine is before I purchase one.

Enough with the blabbing, here are some pictures.

I will be using the machine around my property for a few projects that I have. I would like to be able to get a set of forks for it at some point, preferable not having to drive out pins to switch from forks to bucket and vise versa, but I would like to not have slide on the bucket forks, I have those now and they are a pain to use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: New to me 1980? JCB 3C III

Post #2 by topkit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, you machine is indeed a 3C mk3, i am presuming that your digger has a gearstick but no clutch (ie) you go forwards and backwards via a lever by the steering wheel, There are several threads on here that point to the dump valve being out of adjustment which effectively stops the drive, regrding your broken pin and gears do you have any pictures to help identify them. You may be able to download a manual fro this site if one is available, go o the top of the page and click on the downloads to see what is available. All the best David

Topic author
06DIESEL

Post #3 by 06DIESEL » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:09 pm

I was able to download the manual for the machine from the site. On page #350 of the JCB workshop manual it shows the pin that was broken, part number 11 and he also had gear number 12 out, but it appeared to be in good shape. No idea why it would have bent/broke unless it had walked out from what I can tell so far without digging into it at all since it is not home yet.

I will have to look at those threads about the dump valve adjustment, seems like it should be easy enough to check.

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by topkit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Stay in this section and go down about 11 threads there is one about a 3Cmk 3 with a drive problem have a read through it. Hopefully that will be of help.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:23 am

Hi Travis welcome to CMN :wave: hope you get your new acquisition sorted it looks a tidy machine considering its age. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
06DIESEL

Post #6 by 06DIESEL » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Got it home, definitely has a few hydraulic hose leaks that are going to need repaired/replaced. Where is the best place to buy hose ends or whole hoses? I know that they are metric, and every place around me only stocks standard hose ends. I would hate to have to pay dealer prices on hoses when I know I can get them cheaper elsewhere. Work as a hose crimper, I would just need to ends since they are metric.

Is there no sight glass or dipstick for the hydraulic fluid? It was starting to not want to operate so I added fluid, 5 gallons, and it still did not appear full, but I do not know where full really is.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Travis I believe there should be a sight glass for the hydraulic oil in the bottom right hand side of the cab by the drivers foot well; I would do an internet search of local hydraulic hose suppliers there must be somebody who offers hoses with metric ends.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:08 pm

The hoses will likely not be metric but BSP and probably 5/8 size on most unions. Someone else will confirm. If US anything like UK for hyd hose/fittings ask for a price first and see what they can do. Some standard list prices are outrageous.

Topic author
06DIESEL

Post #9 by 06DIESEL » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:50 pm

I will have to check and see if there is a sight glass that they painted over, which is probably the case.

I will have to look for BSP ends. I did see someone that had standard threads to BSP adapters. Depending on if there is room to hook in an adapter vs just getting the BSP ends.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #10 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:52 pm

In Australia we have just about every thread known to man as we import a lot of gear from around the world
BSP is by far the best of the bunch as in trying to get something to seal as in starting threads in strange and weird angles

A lot of hoses have reusable ends and just by the hose and reuse the ends, even if yours doesnt I would just jump on ebay or somewhere like that and get the ends and make my own hoses up if you cant get the BSP ends locally

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”