1985 3Cx extra dig ; help please

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
topendtrev2
Flag: Ireland

1985 3Cx extra dig ; help please

Post #1 by topendtrev2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:16 am

My digger is very well worn but doing her best. Can go up small hills in first forwards and backwards but almost nowhere in any other gear and cannot push to save her life with the bucket down. can move a little in 2nd on the flat. When jacked up all wheels spin in 4th ; where do I start please ,
thanks,
Trev .

essexpete

Re: 1985 3Cx extra dig ; help please

Post #2 by essexpete » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:30 am

Electric or manual shuttle?
Have you checked the torque con fluid?

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 am

I no nothing about these but things I would check would be correct oil type, correct oil level, are screens and filters clean

If it's still no good I would check for a internal leak

Bare in mind I no nothing about this at all and just using what to me is common sense

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by topkit » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:41 pm

It depends on what year that your 3CX is either way check fluid levels in the shuttle, Gearbox also if you have not owned it long it may be worth a fluid change just in case the wrong fluids have been added, failing that it will probably be the torque converter that is on it's way out.

topendtrev

Post #5 by topendtrev » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi guys : thanks for the replies

electric or manual shuttle ; great question I don't have the faintest idea ; I do have a long lever that pulled towards me is reverse and pushed forward is forward given the size of the lever 450 mm would lead me to guess physical/mechanical rather than electric.

I have worked on many cars for many years but this is all knew have to find where filters / drain plugs etc are. Wrote to jcb they wanted £175 for a manual I have a pdf file but it is the wrong version.

Ok of to find some more documentation,

thanks to all,

Trev.

topendtrev

Post #6 by topendtrev » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:35 pm

jcb-page.PNG

found this see above it explains when transmission is not pulling in either direction which is true in 2nd 3rd & 4th to

Inspect converter protection valve for damage

ok off I go ; thistle be easy

:dizzy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by topkit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:24 pm

From your description of the lever i would say you have the earlier Borg Warner shuttle, i will see if i have a picture that i can post, on this there are two oil fill points one for the actual gearbox and a seperate one for the shuttle, so it may be worth checking the condition and levels of each oil. You need to run the machine and then check the oil level in the shuttle straight after tuning the ignition off, on these ones there is a normal gearbox oil and then a 10w that goes into the shuttle. Hope that helps i do have an operators hand book for this model but i want to keep it as they are pretty difficult to find nowadays, if i finally get a bit of time i will try and get some of it photocopired for you.

topendtrev

Post #8 by topendtrev » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:50 am

thanks topkit : is the shuttle a torque converter similar to a car one probably not as the TC in car always runs one direction / have some familiarity with those. .

As for inspection points am assuming std [?] configuration that shuttle is next to engine then gearbox after that so should be able to identify where sump ends and next 'unit' starts ; can hear you guys laughingh already . Any way I'll dive under this afternoon.

Was digging a trench Sunday on slight hill with front probably at 20 degree angle higiher than rear and engine cut out machine had run for 20 minutes after fuel tank completely refilled and can see fuel in the inlet spout. cranking the engine sounds exactly same as if choke / stooper was pulled out. I think she is not getting fuel. The large filter bowl looks full & pink [ red diesel ] I slackened the lift pump pipes fuel ran out of the inlet side and also out of the outlet side so ; wondering if it is a no no to have her sitting on an angle digging with the rear

06DIESEL
Flag: United States of America

Post #9 by 06DIESEL » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:38 pm

You should need to bleed the air out of the injector lines to get fuel to the injectors. Crack the injection lines at the injectors then crank the motor over till you get fuel at the injectors and then tighten them back up. Then start it, it will crank a little long but should fire off fairly quickly. As a note, do not crank for more than 25 or so seconds before giving the starter a break, it will get hot and burn up the winding if you crank on it too long at once.

topendtrev

Post #10 by topendtrev » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:08 pm

I think perhaps I do not explain properly. I checked oil and water then filled with fuel then started work & 20 minutes later she cut out. As the engine was running I think something must have happened to cause it to stop. As it cranks fine no bad noises wondering if injector pump failure or such like, however I can still do as you suggest and see if fuel at injectors and if not then hm will report tomorrow

thanks

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”