JCB 3C MK2 Steering problem

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
AcornBuildingServices

JCB 3C MK2 Steering problem

Post #1 by AcornBuildingServices » Wed May 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my 1975 JCB 3C Mk2
Hydraulic oil is gushing from the engine side of the steering pump. It did this before and I had the pump dismantled and checked and once refitted it didn't leak but the steering performance was still poor, so I cleaned the mesh filter in the box in front of the radiator. Steering worked great for a couple of minutes then I'm leaking again.
Any advice would be welcome

Regards David

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3C MK2 Steering problem

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi David and welcome to CMN :wave: it may help if perhaps there was a little more detail of where about the oil is coming from on the pump itself? Sure that somebody on here can offer you some helpful advice. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
AcornBuildingServices

Post #3 by AcornBuildingServices » Thu May 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi Jeremy and thank you for the welcome.
The pump is on a manual transmission JCB 3C mK2, all of the hoses are fine but hydraulic fluid is leaking when the engine is running.
It appears to be coming centrally behind on the main pump body, unfortunately its hard to see exactly where as its obscured by the engine. I wonder if there is a relief valve or similar there. When it did this before and the pump was removed and checked and we expected to see evidence of a leak but found nothing, all of the o rings and gaskets were ok so we reinstalled it and the problem has reoccurred once used for a few minutes.
David

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri May 05, 2017 12:00 am

Gudday and welcome
I am not a JCB bloke so I dont know any specifics
I had a spool valve that was wet for years and years and could never find the leak until a few months ago I had changed fittings and orings and looked and looked
when it finally got to the stage that I could see were the leak was coming from it turned out the casting was leaking on the spool valve, it must of had a porous spot or something there but that took years and years to find as I couldnt see the spool valve when everything was reassembled

Might be worth considering

The other thing I do is disassemble things and hook parts of the system up to other hydraulic sources to so I can see whats going on

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
AcornBuildingServices

Post #5 by AcornBuildingServices » Tue May 09, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks Paul
I will give this a go later in the week
Regards David

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”