Project 8 JCB or New Holland NH backhoe loader which to go for

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Project 8 JCB or New Holland NH backhoe loader which to go for

Post #1 by topkit » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 pm

As the title says, which would you go for a 1996 90hp New Holland backhoe loader or a project 8 JCB 3CX, i am currently selling my New Holland as i fancy a change but am having second thoughts as my machine is so tidy, i know a couple of people on here have project 8 machines so your views would be appreciated, Also i have owned a project 6 and know of the kingpost problems that 3CX machines suffer with is it the same with a project 8, also are they normally aspirated or Turbo and last of all were there gearbox options on these machines, i am looking at 93 to 96 year machines.

essexpete

Re: Project 8 JCB or New Holland NH backhoe loader which to go for

Post #2 by essexpete » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:08 am

I don't know anything about these machines but it sounds like you have a tidy machine that you already know. Would spares be more easily sourced for JCB? I know NH spares have a rep for being on the expensive side. Presumably you want a high spec machine to even think about a change? In that era some of the telehandlers were starting to be fitted with power shift transmissions. They can be eye wateringly expensive to repair.

Topic author
topkit

Post #3 by topkit » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi Pete thanks for your input, Yes my machine is really tidy have a look it's on Ebay at the moment tell me what you think, I just fancy a change, I tend to buy one tidy it up and then sell it after a year or so, I started off with an old 1971 3D MK2, Then a 1977 3C MK2, then a 1980 MF40, followed by a 1986 2wd 3cx sitemaster after that came a 99 Fermec 860 then I got the 96 New Holland nh85, so I have had a good cross section of machines and I have been looking for a project 8 3CX but nice ones make good money still. The New Holland is a superb piece of kit although you need to be careful using the back end as it is huge and in the wrong hands you could easily tip the machine over fortunately I know what I am doing but there is an person on YouTube trying to use one offset to one side with he dipper extended out fully with the bucket full you know what happens next ! I have fortunately not needed many parts and Ernest Doe are very helpful, its only done 5200 hours, I know I will probably regret selling it but you know what it's like when you fancy a change. I have been inundated with calls and texts so many that I thought it may be too cheap lol !

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Well I suppose if you can you come out the right side up ££ it is part of what you do.

Never driven a Grey cab in anger but I reckon it will be dated after your one on ebay. Looks very smart and about a 1/3 of its true age. Is the 85 a non turbo? Looks like a powerstar engine?

Topic author
topkit

Post #5 by topkit » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:33 pm

Yep its a non turbo 90hp Iveco engine it has loads of power and is pretty good on fuel too. I like the last grey cab 3cx machines with the big hubs on the back axle but would also like one of the newer 1992 onwards 3CX pretty sure its a project 8 type i know they probably still suffer with the usual kingpost problem but i havent heard of any other major problems to look out for. My phone and Email has been inundated with people with enquiries and i have told everyone that i am not open to offers that is the price which has not put people off, i just have to find/ make time for them to come over to see it lol!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”