JCB 3C 11 Quick possibly stupid question.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
HommeDom
Flag: France

JCB 3C 11 Quick possibly stupid question.

Post #1 by HommeDom » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Good evening. I have a leaking steering box which, thanks to members here, I have deduced needs to be replaced with a used unit. The silly question is; when I bought the JCB the previous owner put some hydraulic oil in as it was extremely low. I later added another 25 liters. It's still low but... Anyway the chap put the oil in through what I discovered later to be the breather next to the fuel filler. As I assumed that he knew what he was doing when I put more in I used the same place. By putting oil in here would it have caused the failure of the steering pump by over pressurising it? If I fit another pump will it also fail as a result? If it is a problem adding the oil here (I use a filter funnel) what can I do about it? I don't want to fit another pump and have that fail due to my mistake. And sorry, looks like I lied re the quick bit.
Many thanks for any information.
Dominic.

tom262
Flag: Ireland

Re: JCB 3C 11 Quick possibly stupid question.

Post #2 by tom262 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:14 pm

good morning ,putting oil in via breather will not effect pump,the proper place to put oil in is at door on right hand side at front of rear wheel. at the top off hydraulic filter is a hose with a threaded cap on top ,hydraulic oil goes in there,the guy may have used the breather because proper way was too slow which means hydraulic filter could be blocked

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”