Head off 3CX > Injector removal?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
darklegend
Flag: Great Britain

Head off 3CX > Injector removal?

Post #1 by darklegend » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:19 pm

I've got the head off my 3CX to do the head gasket currently and due to a slight suspicion of water from the injector port i'm tempted to get the head pressure tested and also checked for flatness. When i rang the engine shop they asked me to remove the injectors first. I'm loathe to take the injectors out if i can help it due to the risk of breaking one and having to replace the seals.

Anyone know the sealing arrangement / what needs replaced / whether i can get away with re-using if its a copper washer etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Head off 3CX > Injector removal?

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:16 am

Hi Greg you will need to remove the injectors for pressure testing the head, I am not sure what seals the injectors on that type of engine but they should simply be able to be removed by carefully using a pry bar on them.

Jeremy

Topic author
darklegend

Post #3 by darklegend » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:27 am

Pulled the injectors today and sent for a pressure test.
Needed a skim to try and get it to seal.
Failed the pressure test :(

Anyone got a Leyland head for sale? :?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:46 am

darklegend wrote:Pulled the injectors today and sent for a pressure test.
Needed a skim to try and get it to seal.
Failed the pressure test :(

Anyone got a Leyland head for sale? :?

Greg where was the head leaking water from? While I am not sure about injector sleeves fitted to in-direct injection engines I know that injector sleeves could be replaced on direct injection engines. I don't even know if your engine is direct or in-direct fuel injection but its worth asking the question.

Jeremy

Topic author
darklegend

Post #5 by darklegend » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:08 pm

I thought i saw some water coming out from under the head of the injector while it was running which made me suspect something but its difficult to tell.

I haven't spoken to the machinist yet just the guy on the phone who said it 'failed' the pressure test, as they use air i'm guessing he probably wont know where the leak is unless it's horrendous. If its between the water jacket and the injector well it'd be a bastard to get at to repair, but i can potentially live with it if i can't get a spare head. Chuck some KSeal in and see what happens. There wasn't combustion pressure getting in the water when i tookmit apart so i'm guessing it's not a leak to the cylinder.

The machine only does the odd job every couple of months around the farm so i can't justify a massive expense really but by the same token you don't leave a 5k piece of machinery to rot!

philwheelton

Post #6 by philwheelton » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:32 am

If you have a Leyland engine with water leaking from the injectors you can replace the injector sleeves there is a kit to roll them in to seal with the head , I can't remember if later engines have "O" rings around the top of them .

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:40 am

philwheelton wrote:If you have a Leyland engine with water leaking from the injectors you can replace the injector sleeves there is a kit to roll them in to seal with the head , I can't remember if later engines have "O" rings around the top of them .

Thanks Phil :thumbup: that was what I was wondering if you were able to replace the injector sleeves or not.

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #8 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:32 am

The young blokes I get to do my heads pressure test them in a big fish tank type looking thing and they seal the head with a 1 inch thick perspex type material so they can see were they leak from
If they are cracked they then run them around to a welding place for the next stage these are fairly all wild looking young blokes earings and those ex pander things in their ears but they always do a great job for me and surprisingly enough are really well spoken

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

tctractors

Post #9 by tctractors » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:58 pm

On the 4x98 Bathgate engine the copper sleeves can be changed as already said, but pressure testing them is a waste of time as after about 15psi a new head will leak from the sleeves, besides they are best tested with the injectors fitted, the inlet valves are locked in position via a woodruff key, oh and to fix your leaking sleeves I used to use an old Elora (spelling ) 1/2" drive socket that had a nice shape that I used to hammer into the sleeve top, it always worked perfect, if you have water entering the cylinder it will have a cracked liner about 3/4" from the top. the heads are not known to suffer with cracks, the engine is a D.I. type
tctractors

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:43 am

Thank you TC :thumbup: no substitute for experience. :bow:

Jeremy

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”