JCB 3C Mk 3Failing To Start

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
martyndraper480
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 3C Mk 3Failing To Start

Post #1 by martyndraper480 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Evening All,

After some advice, Have a JCB 3C Mk 3 managed to get it stuck in the mud, engine cut out and now failing to start. First I thought was the fuel level so added more fuel still nothing. Checked the battery still holding a charge. Took starter motor off and tested that's working fine. Tried moving the drive shaft this is wedged solid and I am not sure what to do to get it moving as I am thinking this might be stopping the engine from ticking over as if I can't move it with a pribar how can the starter move it.

Cheers
Martyn

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3C Mk 3Failing To Start

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:13 am

Hi Martyn welcome to CMN :wave: I think you will need to give us all a little more detail as to what exactly happened with your JCB; firstly if you did run out of fuel then simply putting more diesel in the tank would not get the engine started because you would need to bleed the system from any air first, you say the engine will not even turn over is the machine stuck in gear? Just how deeply bogged did the machine become; not over the engines air intake?

Jeremy

agrimax

Post #3 by agrimax » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Sounds like the engine has seized or hydrauliced?

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Check oil level,if high, maybe water in oil. remove injectors and see if the engine will turn.If water in the cylinders you may have hydrauliced the engine. bent pushrods and valves / piston damage ....Head gasket gone ? or water in the engine breather ? engine stuck in gear ? do wheels move when trying to start ? need more details first.
Martyn

Topic author
martyndraper480

Post #5 by martyndraper480 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:41 pm

For the fuel yes i bleeded the system right upto the pump where goes to the injectors as after this you need the engine to turn over to finish the bleed.

Ive taken some pictures of the machine where its stucks and the engine.

I am thinking its something to do with the front drive shaft being stuck leading me to think its stuck in gear as some of you have mentioned. How do I check this? I have tried pressing the clutch and selecting neutral.

If engine has seized how do I go about fixing it without costing the earth?

Iam pretty new to this kind of machine so any advice or how to fixsomething would be greatful.

Regards
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Martyn,if the machine was stuck in gear,the engine would should still try to turn with the starter,or by hand,albeit not freely. Depressing the clutch would isolate the gearbox anyway. You should be able to get a 7/8''AF or 22mm socket and ratchet onto the alternator nut and,putting pressure on the fan belt,try turning the engine. Both ways. If it won't turn and you can't pry the flywheel with the starter off or turn the pump drive shaft,the engine has got to be seized,hydrauliced or has something internal jamming it.I would be inclined to disconnect the pump shaft from the crankshaft pulley,in case the pump has seized.Unlikely though. If still no joy,then it's injectors out.If it's not hydrauliced then the sump will need removing to ascertain if it has locked up on the crankshaft,which would mean engine removal.Or if it's siezed on a piston,then the engine could stay in situ but the head will need removing as well,to get the pistons/liners out.
Considering the position of the digger,I would be making absolutely sure the engine is indeed locked solid first before going much further and if you're sure it is then,assuming you can get another machine near it,remove the engine completely to repair it as it doesn't look too handy to be crawling underneath it as it is.The annoying thing too is that the machine isn't really stuck.If it had kept going,a couple of minutes would walk it out of there!!

Topic author
martyndraper480

Post #7 by martyndraper480 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks will try some off the stuff you have said and let you know how goes.

Boober

Post #8 by Boober » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:27 pm

I will assume the transmission is in neutral. Is it a manual transmission with a shuttle shift or a clutch system? Trying to turn the drive shaft with anything is mute because the wheels are on the ground.
Try a pipe wrench on your front pump drive. Should turn easily either way. By easily there will be obvious engine resistance but you should be able to turn it. If you cannot turn it you have a engine seized.

Fingers crossed it is not seized.

Tillywolves

Post #9 by Tillywolves » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:04 am

any update from the owner ?

Topic author
martyndraper480

Post #10 by martyndraper480 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:05 am

Will update you guys later with updates that we have tried.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”